Disclosure: I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias® and Kraft Foods #FreshTake #cbias #SocialFabric All opinions are my own.
Have you seen the new Kraft Fresh Take meal kits in stores? These kits combine cheese and breadcrumbs in a variety of flavors to make it quick and easy to add excitement to your meals. Of course one great way to use these is to coat chicken or fish in them before baking or frying. But I wanted to use the Fresh Take kits to make something a little more exciting and unique, so I made Baked Chili Macaroni.
I headed out to my local Walmart to pick up a package. It is easy to find, since it is right with all the shredded cheese.
There were so many flavors I had a hard time choosing one, but I settled on the Southwest Three Cheese flavor as the one that would go best with chili. The cheese is a mixture of Colby, Mozzarella and Cheddar, and the bread crumbs have garlic, cumin and chili pepper. It sounds perfect for a spicy Southwestern meal to me! You can see all the details of my shopping trip in my Google Plus album.
Once I got home I got all my ingredients together for making Chili Macaroni.
The meal is just elbow macaroni, topped with a simple chili recipe and then finished off with the Kraft Fresh Takes Bread Crumb and Cheese mixture. Then it is baked in the oven to heat everything through and melt the cheese.
It was pretty simple to make, and it tasted wonderful. The cheese and bread crumb mixture on top added a little bit of crunch, and some extra spiciness, for a great combination of flavors. I made it ahead of time and then just popped it in the oven to cook when we got home. I like recipes like this that can be made in advance, since it is so nice not to have to think about dinner after a busy day! Here is the complete recipe.
Baked Chili Macaroni
- 8 oz of elbow macaroni
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 T cocoa powder
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T Worcester sauce
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 can tomatoes with jalepeno peppers
- 1 t salt
- 1 can kidney beans (optional)
- Kraft Fresh Take Southwest Three Cheese
- Cook the elbow macaroni, drain and set aside.
- Brown the beef and drain off any extra fat.
- Then add the garlic, onion and red pepper and cook for a few minutes to soften.
- Add the cocoa powder, chili powder, Worchester sauce, cinnamon and salt and stir to mix.
- Mix in the tomatoes, cover and cook on low for at at least 30 minutes.
- You can stir in beans at the end of the cooking time, although I chose not to include them this time.
- Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray, and spread the macaroni in the bottom.
- Cover with the chili mixture. You can refrigerate the dish at this point, as I did, and bake it later, or bake it right away.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the bread crumbs and cheese from the Fresh Take together and spread on top of the chili.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (30-35 minutes if it was refrigerated) and serve.
Watch for the Kraft Fresh Possibilities Tour truck which will be making stops across the country from March through the end of July. You can check and see if they are making a stop near you at this website: Fresh Possibilities Tour In addition there should be a coupon on chicken in the meat department that will give you $1.00 off if you buy chicken and Fresh Take together now through the end of July.
Let me know what flavor sounds best to you!