I love banana bread, and these Banana Walnut Cookies have all the delicious banana bread flavor. Plus they are dairy free and gluten free, so they are great to make for those with food allergies.
My son has a dairy allergy, so it can be tough on him when I make cookies and cakes. He is a teenager, so I figure he can just deal with the fact that he misses out, but I still want to make desserts he can eat once in a while! These banana cookies are great, because they are easy to make and he loves bananas.
I based the recipe on cookies on the Betty Crocker website, although I changed the recipe up by adding banana chips instead of raisins. The result is cookies that are moist and crunchy, with a strong banana flavor.
- 1 c. banana chips
- 1 c walnuts
- 2 c. old-fashioned oats
- ½ t. salt
- 1½ c mashed bananas
- ⅓ c oil
- 1 t vanilla
- Chop the banana chips and walnuts into small pieces. I just used a butcher knife on a cutting board, but a food processor would work too.
- Mix banana chips, walnuts, oats and salt in one bowl.
- Mash 2-3 bananas in another bowl, and measure and keep mashing until you have 1½ c. of banana.
- Stir the oil and vanilla into the mixture.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients in one bowl and mix well.
- Let sit for about 15 minutes to soften the oats. While the batter sits preheat the oven to 350.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet, then bake for 15 minutes until light brown.
We are kicking it old school this September with Drop Cookies! Keep reading to see what craggy and chewy masterpieces everyone came up withâ€¦
You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Banana Walnut Cookies by Upstate Ramblings
- Brown Sugar Bacon Cookies by Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate Chip Cookies with Thyme Infused Browned Butter by The Spiced Life
- Chocolate-Toffee Crinkle Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Morning Glory Breakfast Cookies by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Old Fashioned Soft and Chewy Oatmeal Cookies by Oven Delights
- Peanut Butter and Banana Cookies by 2 Cookin Mamas
- Peanut Butter Graham Cookies (with Tallow!) by What Smells so Good?
- Pumpkin Spice Mocha Crinkle Cookies by All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Reese’s Pieces Cookies by A Baker’s House
- Salted Caramel Nutella Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks