Last month’s selection from the California Wine Club was two signature red wines from the Vigne Winery. I love having wine conveniently delivered to my door every month, especially because the types of wine are always different. I have the chance to try different things, and to taste wines that are limited production and not something I could buy at a local store.
The first wine was a Kiara Private Reserve 2007 Zinfandel. Zinfandel is one of my favorite types of wines, so I expected to like this, and I did. It had a nice subtle flavor, and went well with dinner. The second wine was Kiara Private Reserve 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon. This was another excellent wine, and it was nice to get two red wines this month for a little bit of a change!
If you would like to try out The California Wine Club for yourself they are offering an amazing deal for my readers. You will receive receive 4 bottles for the price of 2 in your first shipment with no obligation to continue. You can also pick all red or all white if you have a preference! Just use the code upstate12 when you check out at www.cawineclub.com.
In addition to the wine each shipment includes a magazine, Uncorked, which includes lots of background on the wineries and usually includes a recipe. Last month I loved the Beef Stew I made from the magazine, so naturally I tried this month’s recipe, which was for Beef Short Ribs Braised in Zinfandel.
It tasted wonderful. I have only made Beef Short Ribs a few times, because it can be a difficult cut of meat to work with. They have lots of fat, and can be tough after cooking. But these were amazingly tender, and the long braising in the wine gave them a deep, rich taste. Using a high quality wine in cooking makes a huge difference in the resulting dish! I halved the recipe to serve 3 so that I still had some Zinfandel to serve with dinner, since the recipe calls for an entire bottle. It made me nervous to use so much of the wine in one dish, especially since Zinfandel is one of my favorites, but it was worth it! My husband told me to make sure I keep making these recipes, because he loves them.
Beef Short Ribs Braised in Zinfandel from Michael Barreto at Le Vigne Winery
- 2 T butter, divided
- 4 lbs beef short ribs
- 2 c. red onions, chopped
- 2 c. carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T fresh rosemary (or 2 t dried)
- 1 750 ml bottle Zinfandel
- 2 c. beef broth
- 1 T flour
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325. Melt 1 T butter in large oven proof pan. Brown the ribs in the butter on all sides.
- Remove the ribs from the pan and sautee the onions for 6 minutes. Then add the carrots, garlic, and rosemary.
- Return the ribs to the pot along with the wine and broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and place in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove ribs from pot. Boil remaining juices for 10 minutes, until beginning to thicken. Add 1 T melted butter and 1 T flour to the pot and simmer for 5 minutes or so until thickened. Season with salt and pepper and serve over mashed potatoes.
Disclosure: I received product to review, all opinions are my own.