This post contains affiliate links.
For the 4th of July this year I wanted to make a red, white and blue dish, and I came up with this Beet and Blueberry Salad with Blueberry Vinaigrette.
I got a huge bunch of beets in my CSA share this week, so I figured it made sense to roast them and combine them with blueberries. So I had red and blue covered, but wasn’t sure what to use for the white. I also received a bunch of salad turnips, and they turned out to be perfect for the salad, both for adding the white color and for taste.
Most people don’t think of turnips as a salad vegetable, but salad turnips are perfect for eating raw. They are also called Hakurei Turnips or Japanese Turnips, and they are tender and juicy. They taste kind of like a radish, only they are not as spicy.
So for this salad the roasted beets were soft and slightly sweet, and the turnips are crunchy and slightly tart. The combination tasted great together, even though I initially thought to combine them for color. The blueberries add a little bit of more intense sweetness and the salad was delicious!
To top it off I made a simple Blueberry Vinaigrette, which also added a little more color to the salad.
- 1 bunch beets
- 1 bunch salad turnips
- 1 c. blueberries
- ½ c. blueberries
- ¼ c. cider vinegar
- 6 T honey
- 4 T olive oil
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Wrap beets in aluminum foil, 2 or 3 per piece of foil, and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 45 minutes until they are soft.
- Let them cool, then peel them by rubbing the skin off.
- Slice the beets into ¼ inch slices.
- Slice the salad turnips into ¼ inch slices.
- Arrange the beets and turnips on a plate, and then sprinkle the blueberries over top.
- Top with Blueberry Viniagrette.
- Combine the blueberries, cider vinegar, honey and olive oil in a blender.
- Mix until combined.
- Store in the refrigerator.
For more July 4th & Patriotic ideas, check out a few posts from my favorite bloggers:
- Patriotic Mini Berry Tarts by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Patriotic DIY Candy Dish by A Mom’s Take
- How to Host a 4th of July Parade by Mom on the Side
- Patriotic Pudding Cups by Better in Bulk
- Perfect Southern Sweet Tea by Greta’s Day
- Patriotic String Art Craft by This Mama Loves
- DIY Beaded Flag Charm Craft for Kids by Cait’s Beauty Blog
- Patriotic Red, White and Blue Mason Jar Planters by Home and Garden Cafe
- Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes by Our Family World
- Crockpot Bean Mix by Day by Day in Our World
- Treats for your 4th of July Cookout by Momma D Jane
- Greek Pasta Salad, a simple summer side by About a Mom
- Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches by Mom Does it All