Quick breads are perfect for the holidays, like this Caramel Apple Pecan Bread.
This is a moist, rich bread that is full of pecans and apples, and then topped off with more pecans and a sweet caramel sauce.Â I have made this both with and without the Caramel sauce, and it is tasty both ways.Â My husband and I prefer the slightly less sweet version without the Caramel sauce, but the kids like it better with it.Â So last time I made it I doubled the recipe and made one with the sauce and one without – it seemed like a good compromise to me!
- 1½ c. pecans
- 1½ c. apples (about 3)
- 8 oz. sour cream
- ¾ c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 c. flour
- ½ t. baking soda
- 2 t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- Â½ c. butter
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1Â½ t. baking soda
- Â½ c. half and half
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Chop the ½ c. of pecans finely, and 1 c. more coarsely. Peel, core and slice the apples and dice them finely.
- Put the sour cream, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a mixer bowl and beat until well combined.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl. Add to the sour cream mixture all at once and mix until just blended.
- Fold in the ½ c. of finely chopped pecans and the apples.
- Put in a loaf pan and sprinkle the remaining 1 c. of pecans on top.
- Bake for about an hour, until a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack, and drizzle caramel sauce over top once the bread is cool.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring the sauce to a rolling boil. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Drizzle over the bread.
What is your favorite type of quick bread?