This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HolidayAdvantEdge #CollectiveBias This post contains affiliate links.
Christmas cookies can be special without being complicated! These Double Chocolate Chunk Peppermint Cream Cookies are a perfect example, because they use a cookie mix and a few simple ingredients and combine them for a delicious treat.
When it comes to holiday baking I like to make new recipes every year. But at the same time I don’t always want recipes which require a laundry list of ingredients and take hours in the kitchen to prepare. Especially when I am cooking with my kids – simple is better.
This recipe starts with a package of Betty Crocker Double Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix, so making the cookies is quick and easy. To make the cookies even more seasonal I picked some peppermint candies to crush up add to the cookies.
Crushing peppermint candies is always a big hit with my kids. So my son fetched a hammer, and we set about breaking the candies down into small pieces. It is important to put the candies inside two sandwich bags before you crush them, otherwise peppermint can go flying everywhere.
Then I added about 3/4 of a cup of crushed peppermint candy to the cookie mix, just enough to add some color and a hint of peppermint flavor. I love the big chunks of chocolate in this cookie mix – the more chocolate the better!
Other than add the peppermint candy I made the cookie recipe as directed on the bag, and ended up with about 30 Chocolate Chunk Peppermint cookies. You do need to make sure you line the cookie sheets with parchment paper before baking the cookies, because otherwise the peppermint candies will melt and make a mess on the cookie sheets. We found that out the hard way, and had to do some extra scrubbing to get the cookie sheets clean!
We ate a few of these, and they tasted excellent! But we wanted to make them even more festive, so I made a quick peppermint cream filling for the cookies using a Crisco Shortening Stick, some powdered sugar and peppermint extract. We used the creamy peppermint filling to sandwich two cookies together, and added some more broken peppermint pieces around the edge of the cookie for the ultimate Double Chocolate Chunk Peppermint Cream Cookies.
Making cookie sandwiches and sprinkling peppermint on the cookies was fun, and a great way to get kids involved in baking and creating (and eating) holiday treats.
- 1 bag Betty Crocker Double Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix
- 1 c. red peppermint candies
- ¼ c. Crisco oil
- 2 T water
- 1 egg
- ½ Crisco Shortening Stick
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 t. peppermint extract
- 1 to 3 T heavy cream
- crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Put the peppermint candies inside two ziploc bags and crush with a hammer.
- Put ¼ of the candy aside to decorate the cookies. Add the rest to the cookie mix in a bowl.
- Add the oil, water and egg to the cookie mix and mix well.
- Use your hands to roll small 1 inch balls of dough and put them on ungreased cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the cookies to wire racks and let cool completely.
- When the cookies are cool combine the Shortening Stick, powdered sugar, vanilla and peppermint extract in a mixing bowl and mix.
- Add the cream 1 T at a time, beat after each until the filling reaches the desired consistency.
- Use the creamy filling to sandwich two cookies together and decorate the edges with the reserved peppermint candy.
What are you baking for the holidays?