This post contains affiliate links.
Summer is here, which means picnics and outdoor fun! One of my favorite picnic foods is this Easy Potato Salad recipe which I learned how to make from my mom.
I love this recipe because it is quick and easy to make. The salad is made up of potatoes, hard boiled eggs, celery, gherkin pickles and red onions. To keep things simple I dice the potatoes and boil them with the skin still on. The small diced potatoes cook quickly, and the potato skins add to the flavor of the dish.
My mom always uses sweet gherkins in potato salad instead of dill pickles, so that is what I use. The crispy pickles add a nice crunch to the salad! I mix all the ingredients together with mayonnaise and pickle juice, add a few spices and the salad is ready to serve. The recipe is easy to modify depending on your taste preferences. My family and I like potato salad that is light on the mayo, and we like lots of eggs too.
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 3 celery stalks
- ½ c. red onion
- 12 sweet gherkin pickles with juice
- ¾ c. mayonnaise
- 4 T. pickle juice
- 1 t. salt
- paprika to garnish
- Wash the potatoes, and then dice them and add them to a sauce pan. Cover with water and boil for 10 minutes until just tender.
- While the potatoes cook chop the eggs, celery, red onion and gherkins. Add to a a bowl.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and run under cold water for a couple minutes to cool them off.
- Add the potatoes to the bowl along with the mayonnaise, pickle juice and salt.
- Mix everything well and refrigerate for an hour or so until time to serve.
- Garnish with paprika.
This potato salad is perfect for summer parties like Memorial Day or Fourth of July picnics. For more fun creative summer ideas, check out a few of my favorite blogs.
- Iced Rhubarb Tea from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Spinach Smoothies from A Mom’s Take
- DIY Solar Lamp from Simply Southern Mom
- Strawberry Pops from Mom on the Side
- Frozen Hot Chocolate from Home and Garden Cafe
- DIY Natural Wood Planter for Father’s Day from Our Family World
- Mason Jar Dirt Pudding by Better in Bulk
- Patriotic Whoopie Pies by How Was Your Day?
- Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan by Day by Day in Our World
- How to Make a Fairy Garden by Momma D Jane
- Make Your Own Summer Scent by Style on Main
- Cheese Stuffed Grilled Ranch Bacon Burger by Mom Does It All
- No Churn Caramel Ice Cream by My So Called Balanced Life
- Grilled Loaded Fries & Fresh Strawberry Lemonade perfect Summer snack idea by Two Boys One Girl and a Crazy Mom
- Picnic Perfect Patriotic Berry Trifle by About a Mom
- DIY Flip Flops by This Mama Loves
- Build a Dinotastic Terrarium by The Guavalicious Life