One of my New Year’s resolutions is to eat better. I am sure I am not alone, that is probably one of the most common resolutions around. One of the biggest challenges for me is to find ways to make healthy meals that my kids will actually eat. I could make something very healthy like a Quinoa and Chickpea salad with peas, but my kids wouldn’t touch it, and my husband probably wouldn’t either. So since I don’t want to make two meals, I have to work with my family’s likes and dislikes. Something I know they like is Chicken Kebobs – or as we usually call it Chicken-on-a-Stick. I decided to create a healthy kebob with Tyson Grilled and Ready Chicken Chunks, lots of vegetables, and an orange dipping sauce.
Orange sauce goes perfectly with chicken, and because the tastes complement each other so well. I decided to go with onions, red peppers and zucchini for the vegetables on the kebobs, since that is a nice mix of textures and colors. Zucchini are not even close to my kids favorite, so I knew they would appreciate having an orange sauce to help hide the taste!
My son and I went to Walmart to get all the ingredients necessary, and you can see all the details of our shopping trip here, in my Google Plus album. We bought the Tyson Grilled & Ready Chicken Chunks to use for the meat. I hate cutting up raw chicken breast to make cubes for kebobs (and stew) so I am thrilled to find this product. The chunks are grilled and not breaded, so they are perfect for a healthy meal.
I squeezed the oranges with my citrus juicer, and combined it with a little vinegar, honey and cornstarch for a quick orange sauce. I also brushed the sauce on the kebobs before I baked them, to add even more citrus flavor to the meal.
The meal was a big hit with my family, and my kids even ate some zucchini. I am sure I will make it again soon. It would be perfect for the grill this summer, but it worked well in the oven too.
Here is the complete recipe:
Orange Chicken Kebobs
Ingredients for Kebobs: Click here for printable recipe
- Tyson Grilled and Ready Chicken Chunks
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red pepper
- 1 onion
- bamboo skewers
Ingredients for Orange Sauce:
- 3 oranges
- 1 T rice vinegar
- 1 T honey
- 1 T cornstarch
- A few hours before dinner put the desired amount of chicken in a bowl in the refrigerator to thaw. I used half a bag for 4 people.
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for about half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- To make the sauce first squeeze the 3 oranges. Add in the vinegar and honey and stir well.
- Chop up the onions, peppers and zucchini into bite sized pieces. Thread on the skewers alternately with the chicken.
- Brush some sauce on the meat and vegetables on the skewers.
- Put the kebobs in the oven to bake for about 10 minutes, flipping once.
- While the kebobs bake, bring the sauce to a boil in a small saucepan. Then reduce the heat, and take about 2T of the sauce out of the pan. Combine it with the cornstarch, and stir it back into the saucepan.
- Continue to stir the sauce on low heat until it thickens.
- After the kebobs are baked 10 minutes, turn the oven to broil, and broil the skewers for 4 minutes, turning once, to brown them.
- Serve with orange dipping sauce.
Disclosure: I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias® and Tyson. #cbias #SocialFabric #MealsTogether Opinions are always my own.