This post containsÂ affiliateÂ links.
Peppermint Sugar Scrub makes a great homemade gift, perfect for a friend who deserves to pamper themselves.
Last week my teenage daughter needed a present for a friend’s birthday, but unfortunately like most teens she is broke. Â So she asked me to help her find something she could make, and naturally we turned to PinterestÂ for inspiration! It is never too early to start thinking about Christmas gifts, so I was looking for something that was a little bit holiday themed, but not so much so that it would be out of place at a summer birthday party!
We found this Peppermint Sugar ScrubÂ recipe on Pinterest, and realized that we could make it with ingredients we had in the house, which makes it perfect for a last minute gift.
The scrub is made with only a few simple ingredients – sugar, coconut oil, food coloring and peppermint extract. Â We changed up the original recipe by making the scrub layers of green and white, so it was striped like a peppermint. We also used peppermint extract instead of essential oil because that is what we had on hand. My daughter panicked when she realized we were out of green food coloring – apparently her kindergarten lessons in color mixing are long forgotten. Â But once we overcame that difficulty it took only a few minutes to make the scrub.
Then we used twine to tie a few peppermint candies on the Mason Jar for a cute presentation. Â My daughter printed out a label and the gift was ready to go!
Sugar Scrubs are amazing for using on your body or feet for silky smooth skin. Â The sugar exfoliates and the coconut oil moisturizes the skin for the perfect combination. They are quick and relatively inexpensive to make, so they are an excellent gift, whether for the Holiday or another special occasion.
- 2 c. sugar
- ⅝ c. coconut oil
- 1 t. peppermint extract
- yellow and blue food coloring (or green)
- 1 pint Mason Jar with lid
- green twine
- 2 green peppermint candies
- printed label
- Microwave the coconut oil so that it is liquid.
- Get two bowls, and divide the ingredients with half in each bowl (1 c. sugar, 5/16 c. coconut oil, ½ t. peppermint extract.
- Add 2 drops of yellow food coloring and 1 drop of blue to one of the bowls.
- Stir both bowls until the ingredients are well mixed.
- Layer the colors in the mason jar until you reach the top.
- Use the twine to tie two peppermint candies around the top.
- Add a lid and label the jar.