Pumpkin is one of my favorite fall flavors to cook with. It adds color and flavor to a dish and takes a recipe from ordinary to extraordinary. Last year I made tasty Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, and this fall I wanted to try out a new Pumpkin Cookie. I came up with this recipe for Pumpkin Date Cookies.
This recipe uses pumpkin and apple sauce in place of most of the butter, so it is very moist and chewy. The insides of the cookie have a cake like texture. I added dates and pecans along with spices to give the cookies a nice burst of flavor.
Because the dough is so moist this cookie takes a while to bake. I had to keep checking the cookies and putting them back in make sure they were cooked all the way through. My oven in on its last legs and doesn’t always heat evenly, but it took over 15 minutes for me to bake the cookies. They won’t get crispy, but they will start to brown around the edges and on the bottom when they are done.
- ¼ c. butter
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ½ c. apple sauce
- 1 c. pumpkin puree
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1¼ c. flour
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking power
- ¼ t. nutmeg
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ½ c. chopped dates
- ½ c. chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a mixer until creamy.
- Add the apple sauce, pumpkin and vanilla and mix.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon and mix until combined.
- Fold in the dates and pecans.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until center of cookie is firm.
The theme this month is Pumpkin! It is only October–you can’t possibly be tired of this glorious symbol of the fall harvest yet! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes–be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month!
Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of our bloggers have made this month:
- Mexican Chocolate Pepita Shortbread Cookies by Magnolia Days
- Peanut Butter Pumpkin Cookies by Food Lust People Love
- Pumpkin Butterscotch Chip Cookies by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies by Stay at Home Mama
- Pumpkin Date Cookies by Upstate Ramblings
- Pumpkin Drop Cookies with White Chocolate Chunks by The Spiced Life
- Pumpkin Oatmeal with White Chocolate M&Ms by Our Good Life
- Pumpkin, Oats and Sunflower Seeds Cookies by ISingCakes & More
- Pumpkin Spice Cookies by 2Cookin’ Mamas
- Pumpkin Spice Cut Out Cookies by A Baker’s House
- Pumpkin Thumbprints by Flours & Frostings