This post contains affiliate links.
This time of year I am inundated with zucchini! Â So I am always trying to come up with different ways to serve zucchini, like this Zucchini Sausage Casserole.
My family and I are members of a CSA, so we get a big box of seasonal vegetable from a local farm every week. Â I made this recipe by using a whole bunch of the vegetables we received, including zucchini, yellow summer squash, fennel, onions and green pepper. Â I thought sausage would combine well with the flavors, and it certainly did! Â I used hot Italian sausage because my family likes spicy foods, but sweet would work well too.
This casserole is very quick to make, and it was done in about 30 minutes, which makes it perfect for a busy night. Â It was quite tasty, and the abundance of vegetables makes it a complete meal. The fennel was a little bit crunchy, which gave it texture. If you don’t have fennel I think celery would be a good substitute.
I used my Veggetti Spiral Vegetable slicerÂ to make the yellow summer squash into noodle like spirals, which makes it cook quickly and look cool. Â I would have done that with the zucchini too, but my zucchini was too large for the spiral slicer!
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage (hot or sweet)
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- ½ c. water
- 2 T cider vinegar
- 2 T ketchup
- 2 T fresh basil
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat, and saute the sausage until no longer pink.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside to drain. Pour out most of the sausage drippings.
- Saute the fennel, onion and garlic in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, summer squash and pepper and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Return the sausage to the pan along with the water, cider vinegar and ketchup.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with basil.
I am glad to have another easy zucchini casserole to make! Â What are you making with zucchini this year?