These chicken salad wraps are a delicious quick and easy dinner idea, perfect for the summer. Ready in only 15 minutes they are perfect for lunch or dinner and are easy, satisfying, healthy and portable!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
During the summer my family and I like to spend lots of time outdoors, enjoying the weather and doing activities like swimming, sailing and hiking. So I like to have summer meals that I can make ahead of time!
These chicken salad wraps are a quick and delicious meal you can make in about 10 minutes. Using leftover chicken and some vegetables you can make this light dinner ahead of time and have it ready when you get home from your summer adventures.
Leftover or Precooked Chicken
One of the ways to make this meal quick is to make it with leftover chicken. It can be a leftovers from a rotisserie chicken or barbecued chicken or Instant Pot chicken – whatever you have.
You can also use precooked chicken or canned chicken from your pantry. Using leftover chicken means you don’t have to heat up the house and cook. There is no cooking involved in this recipe, just chopping of ingredients.
These wraps combine the chicken with lots of vegetables to make a tasty and healthy dinner.
- Shredded coleslaw mix – Using a bag of coleslaw mix is a great way to save on dinner prep. Sometimes I use regular coleslaw mix and sometimes I use broccoli slaw for a little bit different flavor.
- Red onion or green scallions – These onions add a crisp bite to the wraps. Yellow onions are too strong uncooked, but either red onions or scallions are perfect.
- Cucumbers – Cucumbers are cool and refreshing in a wrap.
- Bell peppers – Any color of pepper will work fine. I like to use red or orange peppers best, because they are sweeter.
- Garlic – for added flavor.
The combination of soy sauce and rice vinegar is a standard in many Asian cuisines. In this recipe the dressing gives the wraps some Asian inspired flavor. The dressing is made from:
- Soy sauce
- Olive oil
- Rice vinegar
The only other ingredient needed is something to wrap the salad up in . You can use tortillas or sandwich wraps.
If you want to make the dinner low carb you can buy low carb wraps or wrap the salad up in lettuce leaves. I have also served this in pita bread, which was also tasty!
How to Make Chicken Salad Wraps
1. Chop the Vegetables and Chicken
Chop up the onions, cucumbers, bell peppers and garlic. Combine them with the coleslaw mix in a big bowl.
Then shred or chop the chicken and add it to the bowl with all the vegetables.
2. Mix the Dressing
In a small bowl mix the soy sauce, olive oil, sugar and rice vinegar together. Pour the dressing over the salad mix and toss it to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. Roll it Up
Once you are ready to serve put the wrap on a cutting board and top it with 1 cup of the salad mix. Then roll it up and serve.
How to Store
I think these taste best if you don’t roll up the wraps until you are ready to serve. The wraps can get a little soggy if you try to roll them ahead of time.
But the chicken salad is easy to store in the refrigerator. It keeps well for 2-3 days in a tightly covered bowl. This is also a good recipe to make for meal prep.
How to Serve
Wrapped up and served with a fruit like grapes this is a quick and easy meal the whole family can enjoy. So this summer plan on spending less time cooking and more time having fun with your family!
Find More Easy Summer Meal Ideas
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion or 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cup shredded coleslaw mix
- 2 cups leftover chicken or canned chicken
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, optional
- 3 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4 sandwich wraps or tortillas
- Chop up the cucumbers, red pepper, onion and garlic. Combine with the coleslaw mix in a big bowl.
- Shred or chop the chicken and add it to the bowl. Add the coriander if using.
- Mix the soy sauce, olive oil, sugar and rice vinegar together in a small bowl, then pour over the veggies and meat. Stir to combine and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When you are ready to serve put 1 cup of salad mix in a wrap and roll up.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263Saturated Fat: 2gSodium: 701mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 6gSugar: 11gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is estimated.