Air fryer Bang Bang Shrimp is the perfect appetizer for your next game day or holiday party! It features crispy shrimp with a sweet and spicy dipping sauce.
This is a copycat recipe for Bonefish Grill’s Bang Bang Shrimp! Using the air fryer makes it a healthier alternative to the famous shrimp appetizer. Enjoy all the crunchy taste without any downsides!
But you don’t have to make this just as a fun party snack. Serve the shrimp over rice and top it with the delicious sauce for a dinner the entire family will love. My favorite way to serve this recipe is in shrimp tacos!
🌶️Bang Bang Sauce
Bang Bang sauce is a hot and sweet creamy sauce that is perfect for dipping crispy shrimp, chicken, fries, or almost anything you love to dip. I use a simple mayonnaise-based sauce flavored with hot sauce, sweet chili sauce, and honey for a great combination of sweet and spicy! You can vary the spicy sauce by adding more hot sauce or cayenne pepper to make it extra hot.
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
Although the ingredient list looks long, this is really a simple recipe!
- Corn starch
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Hot sauce
👩🏻🍳How to Make Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp
- Peel and devein the shrimp.
- In a medium bowl, combine the buttermilk, cornstarch, salt, pepper, hot sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and egg. Mix it all until it forms a thick batter.
- Put the bread crumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Dip each shrimp in cornstarch mixture, letting any excess drip off. Then dip it in the breadcrumbs.
- Put the breaded shrimp on a tray and refrigerate it for 15 minutes. This will help the coating stick.
- Preheat the air fryer at 390 degrees F for 3 minutes when you are ready to cook.
- Use a spray bottle to coat the pieces with a little bit of oil. Put the shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer.
- Air fry at 390 degrees F for 5 minutes. Flip the shrimp over and air fry for another 5 minutes.
🥣Make Bang Bang Sauce
The Bang Bang sauce is made by mixing the mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, hot sauce, and honey in a medium bowl. Whisk it all together to combine.
These tiny bites of crunchy shrimp are versatile and can be served in many ways. Just serve them with the dipping sauce for a fun finger food snack.
Or toss them with the sauce and serve them over a bed of rice or pasta. My favorite way to make them is to use them to make Bang Bang shrimp tacos with mango salsa. They are also great on a salad or in a wrap.
💭How to Store
Store the shrimp and sauce separately in an airtight container. They will keep for 4 days in the refrigerator. To reheat leftovers, put the shrimp in the air fryer at 400 F for 3 minutes. They won’t be as crispy after reheating.
⭐Tips and Variations
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
- Don’t use commercial cooking spray in the air fryer since it can damage the air fryer basket. Put oil in a spray bottle instead.
- Breading and air frying will be easier with medium to large shrimp.
- Keep the shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook in batches if necessary.
- Try to only use one hand when doing the breading, so one stays clean and dry.
- Chilling the shrimp before cooking helps the breading stick and is worth the extra time it takes.
- Preheat the air fryer for the crispiest shrimp.
No, it is too challenging to make breading stick to frozen shrimp. Thaw them before making this recipe.
Yes. Leave the tails on or take them off, whichever you prefer.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Bang Bang Shrimp Recipe
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 tablespoon hot sauce
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Spray bottle of oil
Bang Bang Sauce Ingredients
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce such as Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Combine the milk, cornstarch, salt, pepper, hot sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and egg in a mixing bowl.1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1 egg beaten, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder, 1/2 tablespoon hot sauce
- Put the breadcrumbs in a separate bowl.3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Dip the shrimp in the milk mixture, followed by the breadcrumb mixture, coating the entire shrimp. Try to only use one hand during the breading process so one stays clean and dry.1 pound shrimp
- Arrange the coated shrimp on a tray and put it in the refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes. Chilling will help keep the breading from falling off.
- Make Bang Bang Sauce: While the shrimp chills, mix the mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, honey, and hot sauce in a small bowl. Whisk until everything is well combined.½ cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce, 1 tablespoon hot sauce, 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 390 degrees F.
- Spray the basket with a quick spray of oil. Then add the shrimp in a single layer and spray the top side with oil. Don’t drench the pieces. They just need a small amount of oil. Keep them in a single layer and cook them in batches if necessary.Spray bottle of oil
- Air fry at 390 F for 5 minutes on one side, flip the shrimp, and cook for another 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- To serve as an appetizer, dip the spicy shrimp in the sauce and enjoy.
- For a main dish, pour the sauce over the pieces, mix and garnish with green onions.
- Or use the cooked shrimp in tacos, wraps, or sandwiches.
- Don’t use commercial cooking spray in the air fryer since it can damage the air fryer basket.
- Use medium to large size shrimp.
- Chilling the shrimp after breaking but before cooking helps the breading stick.
- Preheat the air fryer for the best results.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.