Use this simple air fryer boneless chicken breast recipe and say goodbye to dry, tasteless chicken! You can have a delicious meal on the table in less than 30 minutes with this easy recipe.
I love chicken because it is a great lean protein that is healthy, tasty, and inexpensive. But cooking boneless chicken breasts can be tricky because it is so easy to overcook them and end up with dry or rubbery meat.
In this foolproof recipe, I’ll show you how to make air fryer boneless chicken breasts that taste amazing and look beautiful. You won’t believe how easy it is to make this healthy meal! You can even air fry frozen chicken breasts.
Use the juicy chicken breast for a weeknight dinner or as part of your weekly meal prep. Chicken is a versatile protein and can be easily used for tacos, soup, or wraps later in the week. Keep reading for all the details!
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
Boneless Chicken Breast – If you use breast cutlets, the meat will cook a little bit faster.
Oil – Oil isn’t strictly necessary for air-fried chicken breast. But it will help the seasoning stick and give the meat a crispy outer layer. So I recommend using a little bit. You can brush the oil on or use cooking spray if you prefer.
Seasoning – I like to season the meat with paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. But you can vary the spices and use a BBQ rub or a mixture like Italian seasoning.
How to Make Chicken Breast in Air Fryer
Pat the meat dry with a paper towel and combine the paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Then brush the breasts with oil and sprinkle on the spice mixture.
My 5.8-quart Cosori air fryer will fit about 3 full-size breasts or 4 cutlets. Cutlets are just breasts that have been cut in half lengthwise.
2. Air Fry
Place the seasoned chicken breasts in the air fryer basket, keeping it in a single layer without crowding. Air fry it at 380 degrees F for 10 minutes, then pull the basket out and flip it over.
Air fry it for another 5-8 minutes until it is golden brown on the outside. Use a meat thermometer to check the chicken for doneness. It should have reached 160 degrees F.
Always use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature, don’t try to cook based just on time. A thermometer is not expensive and the peace of mind they give you is priceless. Food poisoning is not fun! This is my favorite inexpensive meat thermometer, which you can buy on Amazon.
Once the meat is done, take it out of the air fryer, and let the chicken rest on a platter for 5 minutes. This allows the juices to reabsorb, making the meat tender and juicy.
How to Store
This recipe is excellent for meal prepping or making ahead of time. Store the cooked boneless chicken breasts in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 4-5 days. To reheat the leftover chicken, put it back in the air fryer at 380 F for about 5 minutes.
Here are some great ways to use it:
- Add a few pieces to your favorite salad recipe, like Greek salad.
- Use it on a pizza.
- Make homemade tacos for Taco Tuesday.
- Use it in a sandwich, wrap, or panini.
- Serve it over rice.
- Add it to tomato sauce and serve it over pasta.
This recipe is easy to change by varying the seasoning mix. Other favorite chicken seasonings are:
- Lemon pepper seasoning
- BBQ spice rub
- Jamaican jerk seasoning
- Taco seasoning
Yes, you can put frozen boneless chicken breast in the air fryer as long as they are frozen in individual pieces, not in a big clump. The texture of the cooked chicken will be slightly different than if you cook fresh, but don’t worry; it will still taste delicious.
To cook frozen, raw chicken breast in the air fryer, rub or spray it with olive oil and add the seasoning. Cook it in a 360-degree F air fryer for 20-25 minutes, flipping it halfway through the cooking time. Make sure it is in a single layer and check that it has reached 165 degrees F on the meat thermometer before serving.
Yes, this recipe freezes well. Let the meat cool completely, and then store it in a freezer-friendly container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
It isn’t necessary to marinate or brine the meat before air frying. The high heat will sear the outside and seal the juices inside for moist and delicious chicken. But you can marinate or brine it if you prefer or if you are trying to impart some extra flavor to the meat. If you want to brine the meat, I recommend my apple cider brine.
Tips for Making the Best Air Fryer Chicken Breast
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
- Don’t crowd the pieces of chicken in the air fryer basket. The air needs to be able to circulate around the meat.
- Always check the internal temperature with a thermometer. If you don’t have one, slice it at the thickest part to check for doneness.
- Let the air fryer boneless chicken breast rest on a plate for 5 minutes before serving. Don’t let it rest in the air fryer because it will continue cooking due to the residual heat.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil or oil of choice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Coat the chicken with oil and sprinkle on the paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Then place the breast in the air fryer basket.1/2 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Air fry at 380 degrees F for 15-18 minutes, flipping the pieces over once. If you use chicken cutlets, they will only need about 10-12 minutes of cooking time instead.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to verify that the internal temperature has reached at least 160 degrees F.
- Take the pieces of chicken out and let them rest on a plate for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Garnish with fresh herbs or lemon wedges.
For Frozen Chicken Breast:The meat needs to be frozen as individual pieces of chicken, not as a big clump. Rub or spray the pieces with olive oil and add the seasoning. Cook it in a 360-degree F air fryer for 20-25 minutes, flipping it halfway through the cooking time.
TipsIt is always best to check the internal temperature with a thermometer. If you don’t have one, slice it at the thickest part to check for doneness. Change the seasoning by adding onion powder and chili powder or using your favorite seasonings such as Jerk or Italian seasoning.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.