This quick and easy air fryer cornbread is delicious! Buttermilk and honey combine to make this homemade cornbread moist and just a little bit sweet. This simple side dish is ready in less than 30 minutes!
Cornbread is a quick and easy side dish, perfect for serving with dinners like chili, jambalaya or Instant Pot pulled pork. This easy recipe lets you make this classic side in the air fryer.
The cornbread is made with buttermilk and honey, making it moist and delicious. Add in some chopped chili pepper to make it spicy!
Why You Will Love Air Fryer Cornbread
- This cornbread bakes fast, so you can be enjoying it sooner than if it was baked in the oven.
- Using the air fryer means your kitchen doesn’t heat up, which is quite useful if want cornbread to go with BBQ ribs on a hot summer day.
- This is a small batch recipe, the perfect size for a small family.
Baking Pan for Air Fryer
I make this cornbread recipe in a 32 ounce round baking pan that was actually designed for the Instant Pot. Turns out I rarely use it in my Instant Pot, but use it for baking in my air fryer regularly!
This pan fits well in my 5.8 quart Cosori air fryer. But if you have a different air fryer you might need a different pan. Look for a thin walled pan that fits in your air fryer while still allowing air to circulate.
Loaf pans fit in many different air fryers and you can also use a disposable foil pan. Bundt pans are another good choice and using a bundt pan means don’t have to worry about the center being cooked through, since there is no center.
Keep in mind that using a different size or shape pan might mean you will have to adjust the baking time. And don’t use a glass baking dish in the air fryer, because it could shatter.
Step by Step Instructions
1. Combine the Dry Ingredients
Put all the dry ingredients – cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt – in a medium bowl and mix.
2. Combine the Wet Ingredients
Mix all the wet ingredients – buttermilk, melted butter, honey and egg – together. I like to mix them all in the measuring cup I use for the buttermilk, since it means one fewer bowl to wash.
Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until just mixed together. Over mixing can make the cornbread dry, so don’t use a mixer or beat it zealously.
Now is the time to add any optional mix ins that you like. I added in a few tablespoons of chili peppers. Corn would also make a good addition, just don’t add more than about 1/2 a cup.
Spray your chosen baking pan with cooking spray, then pour the batter into it, spreading it to the edges.
Bake it in the air fryer at 320 degrees F for 20 minutes. Don’t try to cook it at a higher temperature or it will brown too much on top.
After the 20 minutes is up test the cornbread by inserting a toothpick in the center and making sure it comes out clean. If not cook it longer.
My cornbread batter was about 1 inch deep in the baking pan. If you are using something, like a loaf pan, that results in a thicker cornbread you will probably need more cooking time.
How to Serve
You can serve the cornbread right from the baking pan, or dump it out, flip it over and slice it. Add some extra butter on top, jalapenos or drizzle it with more honey!
Cornbread is one of my favorite sides since with this recipe I can have it hot and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes. I love to serve it with pork, chile or Cajun recipes like jambalaya or dirty rice.
How to Store
Store any leftover cornbread in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days. I find cornbread gets dryer as time passes.
That is one of the things I like this recipe – it makes a smaller cornbread so we eat most of it when it is fresh and at its most delicious.
Variations and Tips
- If you don’t have buttermilk you can add 1 teaspoon of vinegar to the measuring cup and then add regular milk. Let it sit for a couple minutes and use it like it was buttermilk.
- I have made this recipe with almond milk and dairy free spread and it was quite tasty with those substitutions.
This recipe would work fine as muffins. Use silicone muffin cups to hold the batter, since paper ones are very light weight. I’d start with a 10 minute baking time if making muffins, then test the center of the muffins.
Jiffy cornbread mix would also work in the air fryer. If you don’t want to make cornbread from scratch just follow the directions on the Jiffy box and bake it in the air fryer, at 320 degrees F for 20 minutes.
Find More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Cornbread
Buttermilk and honey combine to make this homemade cornbread moist and just a little bit sweet.
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 3 Tablespoons diced chile peppers, optional
- Spray a baking pan that fits into your air fryer with non-stick cooking spray. I used a 32 ounce round pan that is about 7 inches round.
- Put the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a medium bowl and stir to mix.
- Combine the buttermilk, melted butter, honey and egg in another bowl and stir to mix.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until it is just combined. Add in the diced chile peppers if using.
- Bake the cornbread in the air fryer at 320 degrees F for 20 minutes. The cornbread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- You can serve from the baking pan or dump the cornbread out on to a wire rack to cool.
A loaf pan or bundt pan can also work well in the air fryer. Silicone muffin cups would also work for baking corn muffins. Don't use a glass baking dish, it might shatter.
Cooking time will vary depending on the pan you use and your air fryer. I used a 32 ounce round pan in a 5.8 quart Cosori air fryer. My batter was about 1 inch deep in the pan. A smaller pan with deeper batter will take longer to cook. Corn muffins will cook more quickly, in about 10 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 288mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are estimates.
3 thoughts on “Quick & Easy Air Fryer Cornbread”
Just made this it was great. Left out the honey because we don’t like it sweet….but here is the best part forgot the egg…but still turned out perfect! Thanks
I’ve made this a couple of times and also cut the honey after the first time. I used about a teaspoon instead of 2 tbsp. and it was delicious. I’m actually surprised how well it baked in the air fryer. Thanks for a great recipe!
I skip the honey like I skipBBQ sauce
On the side for dippin or drizzlin…