Air fryer green bean fries are a delicious crispy appetizer, with a crunchy outside crust with soft, tender beans inside. Green beans are coated in panko and Parmesan cheese and air fried with no added oil. Dip the fries in your favorite dipping sauce for a fun game day snack!
I love crispy snacks because they are so addictive and fun to dip. But let’s face it, they are very unhealthy! But this delicious side dish is made with only a handful of ingredients and no added oil, so it is ideal when you want something fried, but healthier.
The air fryer gives you a nice crispy crust on the beans without the hassle or mess of a deep fryer. With just a few quick steps even a novice air fryer user can make green bean fries in air fryer.
Why You Will Love Air Fryer Green Bean Fries
- You can get nice crunchy texture without using any oil.
- These fried beans are addictive and make great appetizer alternative to French fries or sweet potato fries.
- These are easy to make and fun to eat so they are the perfect snack!
String beans – Any fresh green beans will work well in this recipe. They can be green, yellow or purple, whatever you have on hand. The beans do need to be fresh though, you can’t make this with canned or frozen green beans.
Flour – The flour helps coat the beans so that the egg sticks to them.
Eggs – Using eggs helps the beans crisp without the need for added oil.
Parmesan cheese – Parmesan cheese adds some texture and flavor to the breading. You could substitute Romano or another hard cheese if you prefer.
Panko breadcrumbs – Panko breadcrumbs are lighter and drier than regular breadcrumbs, so they provide a crunchier flavor to the beans.
Seasoning – I keep it simple and use salt and black pepper to season the beans. You could add more spices like garlic powder or red pepper flakes if you want to change up the recipe.
How to Make Fried Green Beans in Air Fryer
Wash the green beans and cut off the stem ends. Don’t bother drying off the beans though, because the flour will stick better if they are a little bit damp.
Get three shallow bowls. Put the flour in one bowl. Put the eggs in another bowl and beat them to combine.
In the third bowl put the panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Add the salt and pepper if desired and stir to mix it all together.
2. Add Breading
This process gets a little messy. Since the beans are small and easy to handle I suggest using one hand only for the dipping, which keeps the other hand clean.
Take a bean and dip it into the flour.
Then dip it into the egg mixture and let any excess egg drip off, back into the bowl.
Finally dip it in the breadcrumb mixture. Put the breaded green beans on a cutting board or wire rack and then dip some more.
Keep dipping the beans until you have enough for a single layer in the air fryer basket. You can’t stack the fried green beans, so you will need to make this recipe in batches.
3. Air Fry
Once you have a full batch ready preheat the air fryer at 380 for 3 minutes. I don’t always preheat my air fryer, but for this recipe it will make the green bean fries crispier.
Then put the breaded beans in the air fryer and cook them at 380 degrees F for 10 minutes. Pull the basket out after 5 minutes and flip them over for the crispiest fries.
How to Serve
These air fryer green bean fries are delicious served with your favorite dipping sauce! Here are some tasty sauce suggestions:
How to Store
These breaded green beans will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days. They don’t freeze well, so don’t bother trying to freeze them.
To reheat leftovers put them back in a preheated air fryer at 350 degrees F for about 3 minutes. They won’t be as crispy after reheating as when they where first made.
- Do not try to cook the green beans all at once or overcrowd the basket or they won’t end up crispy.
- It will be less messy if you do all the dipping with one hand and keep the other hand clean.
If you don’t have an air fryer or just want to make a whole bunch of green bean fries you can cook these in the oven. They will not have as nice a crispy texture if baked in the oven though.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and put the breaded beans on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Spray the beans with a little bit of cooking oil. Bake them for 10-12 minutes, flipping them over halfway through the cooking time
No. You can cook frozen green beans in the air fryer, but you can’t add breading when they are frozen.
If you want to make your green bean fries extra crispy you can spray the fries with cooking spray before air frying them. I find the egg and bread crumb combination is enough for a crunchy texture without oil, but oil will make them crispier.
Find More Air Fryer Veggie Recipes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 pound of green and yellow beans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, optional
- Wash the green and yellow beans, but don’t dry them. If they are somewhat damp the flour will stick to them better.
- Get three shallow bowls. Place the flour in one and the beaten eggs in another. Finally, combine the panko breadcrumbs and grated parmesan in a third bowl, along with the salt and pepper. Stir to mix it all together.
- Pick up a bean and dip it the flour. Then dip it into the bowl of eggs, and finally dip in the panko breading mix. Put the breaded green beans on a cutting board.
- Repeat with the rest of the string beans.
- Preheat the air fryer at 380 degrees F for 3 minutes. Then put the beans in a single layer in the air fryer basket. You will have to make this recipe in 2-3 batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Air fry at 380 ˚F for 10 minutes. Half way through pull out the basket and flip the beans or shake it.
- Serve right away with your favorite dipping sauce.
The air fried green beans will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 days. They don't freeze well.
To reheat the leftover fried beans place them in the air fryer and cook at 350 ˚F for 3 minutes.
When dipping the beans use just one hand for the dipping so you have one wet hand and one dry hand. It will be less messy that way!
If you want to make your green bean fries extra crispy you can spray the beans with cooking spray before air frying them. I don't think it is necessary, but oil will make them crispier. Use a spray bottle of olive oil, not a commercial cooking spray.
To Bake in the Oven
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and put the breaded beans on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Spray the beans with a little bit of cooking oil.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 729mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 13gSugar: 2gProtein: 22g
Nutrition facts are estimates.