This air fryer grilled ham and cheese is a classic sandwich. Combine sliced ham with your favorite cheese and mustard and use the air fryer to make this ordinary sandwich into an easy comfort food dinner with hot ham, gooey cheese and toasted bread!
Grilled ham and cheese is a delicious hot comfort food sandwich that you can make for dinner or lunch! Using the air fryer to make it is quick and easy and gives you buttery crispy bread with tasty ham and gooey cheese with very little effort.
When I first got my air fryer I mostly used it to heat up frozen foods, like egg rolls, and as an alternative to my grill for things like air fryer burgers. But there are all kinds of ways it can be used to make mealtimes easier.
This air fryer grilled ham and cheese sandwich is a great beginner recipe for kids to learn how to make! They will be able to make their own hot lunch in no time at all.
Why Make Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese
Ok, I’ll be honest, grilled ham and cheese isn’t exactly difficult to make in a frying pan. So why use the air fryer?
- You don’t have to stand by the stove. Just put the sandwiches in the air fryer and walk away. You don’t even have to flip them, although they will be a little browner if you do.
- It is easier to regulate the temperature so the bread gets brown but not too brown and you know exactly how long it needs to cook.
- I think bread in the air fryer is a little bit flakier than if it is fried on the stove , which makes it taste better.
- You can use less butter on the outside of the bread. Some butter will help the bread brown and add to the flavor, but you don’t need as much as you’d need to make the sandwich in a frying pan.
- Bread – I like to use whole grain sandwich bread. But you can use any kind you like, although thicker bread might need more cooking time.
- Ham – I usually just use thin sliced deli ham. Leftover ham works fine too.
- Cheese – Any kind of cheese is delicious in this recipe, so use your favorite. My favorite is gouda and my husband loves spicy pepperjack. Swiss cheese or cheddar cheese is the most traditional. I have also made this with vegan cheese for my son who has a dairy intolerance.
- Butter – Butter spread on the outside of the bread helps it crisp and get flaky.
- Mustard – Mustard is optional, but I think it makes the sandwich tastier!
How to Make Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese
1. Preheat & Assemble
I don’t always preheat my air fryer, but I like to do so for this recipe. Set it at 350 degrees F and let it preheat for 3 minutes while you make the sandwiches.
To make the ham and cheese sandwiches spread the outside of each slice of bread with a little bit of butter, about 1/2 Tablespoon per slice.
Then add the ham, cheese and mustard to the bread. I tend to pile on the cheese, since that is my favorite part. 🙂
Top the sandwich off with the other slice of bread, with the butter side facing out.
2. Air Fry
Put the sandwiches in the air fryer basket without crowding them. I can fit 3 sandwiches easily in my 5.8 quart Corsori air fryer.
Air fry for 5 minutes at 350 degrees F. Then flip the sandwiches over and air fryer for 3 more minutes, until the cheese inside is melted and gooey.
How to Serve
You can also just serve these with chips and a pickle for a simple, fast meal. These are perfect when you want to get dinner on the table in minutes!
Variations and Tips
- If necessary use toothpicks to hold the top bread on the sandwich. I don’t usually have trouble with stuff flying around in my air fryer, but some air fryers are more prone to this than others.
- You can use mayonnaise on the outside of the bread instead of butter.
- The cooking time can vary based on the thickness of the bread and type of cheese you selected.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. There should be space between the sandwiches so that the air can circulate and the sandwiches will brown.
Find More Simple Air Fryer Meals
- 8 slices of bread
- 8 slices of cheese
- 8 slices of ham
- 4 tablespoons of mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter or mayonnaise
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F. Assemble the sandwiches while the air fryer preheats.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter. Add the sliced ham, cheese and mustard onto the bread on the side without the butter.
- Place a piece of bread on top to create a sandwich, with the butter side out.
- Air fry the sandwich for 5 minutes at 350 degrees F, then flip the sandwich and air fry it for 3 more minutes or until the cheese inside is melted and gooey.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 550Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 131mgSodium: 2047mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 43g
Nutrition facts are estimates.