Air fryer meatloaf is a classic weeknight dinner that is easy to prepare and delicious. This comfort food recipe has crispy edges and soft insides and is terrific served with ketchup or your favorite meatloaf sauce.
An air fryer meatloaf cooks in a fraction of the time it would take in the oven, which means it’s perfect for busy weeknights. This tasty dish will surprise you with how crispy the edges become as it cooks while the inside stays moist and soft.
This classic meatloaf recipe is perfect for kids and will be loved by the entire family. The slices of meatloaf have a burst of flavor that comes from the ketchup and seasoning.
Stuffing mix is used instead of bread crumbs to make this an easy dinner, even for novice cooks. Serve it with a sprinkle of cheese on top or with a delicious meatloaf sauce for a tasty dinner.
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
Ground meat – Ground beef is the classic meat to use in meatloaf. But you can use ground pork, turkey, or chicken if you prefer. Use lean ground beef, so the meatloaf isn’t too greasy.
Stuffing mix – I use stuffing mix as a binder in my meatloaf instead of breadcrumbs because that is how my mom made it! It simplifies the recipe adds texture without veggies like onion or carrots.
Eggs – The eggs help bind the mixture together, so it stays in a loaf shape.
Ketchup – The ketchup gives this recipe a nice sweet tomato flavor.
Seasoning – I season the meat mixture with garlic, chili powder, black pepper, and oregano. I like the added kick of spiciness a little bit of chili powder gives the meal. You can substitute Italian seasoning for a more classic taste.
How to Cook Meatloaf in the Air Fryer
Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix them together. You can use your hands or a big spoon if you don’t want to get messy. I find it easier to just use my hands.
Mix the beef until it is just combined. Over mixing will result in the dish being tough instead of tender. So mix it gently and stop once it is combined.
2. Make the loaves
It works better to make this recipe in two mini loaves instead of one big one. It will cook more quickly and have more crispy edges to enjoy.
If you have small loaf pans, you can put the meatloaf in them. If not, use a piece of foil to help form a loaf shape.
Divide the mixture in half and put one half on a sheet of aluminum foil. Make it rectangular, and then fold up the foil to form sides around the meat. Repeat with the second half of the meatloaf mixture.
3. Air fry
Preheat the air fryer at 370 degrees F for 3 minutes. Then put the two loaves in the air fryer basket and cook at 370 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature, which needs to be at least 165 degrees F.
Always use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature, don’t try to cook based just on time. A thermometer is not expensive and the peace of mind they give you is priceless. Food poisoning is not fun! This is my favorite inexpensive meat thermometer, which you can buy on Amazon.
Once the loaf is done cooking, let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. This will help ensure it stays together nicely.
Don’t Want a Crispy Top?
I love my meatloaf with a brown top. But if you don’t, air fry it at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes instead. The outsides will not get as crisp with a lower cooking temperature.
What to use to top the meatloaf is always a discussion at my house. Frankly, my kids consider ketchup the ultimate meatloaf sauce!
Sprinkling the top of the meatloaf with some cheddar cheese is another perennial favorite. Topping it off with barbecue sauce or chili sauce are other delicious ways to serve meatloaf.
If you want something more sophisticated, you can make a sauce from ketchup with brown sugar and dry mustard for a sweet and tangy flavor. I include the recipe for this simple glaze in the recipe card below.
You can brush sauce on the meatloaf when it is done cooking and air fry it for an additional 2-3 minutes. Then serve it with extra sauce on the side.
Side Dishes To Serve With an Air Fryer Meatloaf Dinner
I almost always serve slices of meatloaf with potatoes, either mashed potatoes, salt potatoes, or twice-baked potatoes. Sweet potato fries are another favorite for this tasty dinner, and you can dip them in your meatloaf sauce.
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftover meatloaf in an airtight container in the fridge 3-4 days. The slices make great sandwiches, or you can reheat them in the air fryer.
Yes, any kind of ground meat works well in this air fryer meatloaf recipe. You can also use ground turkey, pork, chicken, or a combination of meats are all delicious.
1. Place slices of cooked meatloaf in the air fryer and cook at 320 degrees F for 4 minutes.
2. Flip the slices over and heat for another 2-4 minutes.
3, Spread ketchup or barbecue sauce on the meatloaf when you flip them over if desired.
Preheating gives more consistent results and is important in this air fryer meatloaf recipe.
Key Tips for This Recipe
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
Don’t over mix the meat loaf mixture.
Preheat the air fryer for best results.
Use a thermometer to verify the internal temperature of the meatloaf.
Cook these in mini loaf pans or make one out of foil.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Air Fryer Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 6 ounces stuffing mix any flavor
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup water
Optional Meatloaf Glaze Ingredients
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- Mix all your ingredients until fully incorporated.1 pound lean ground beef, 6 ounces stuffing mix, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup ketchup, 1 garlic clove, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 cup water, 3/4 cup ketchup, 6 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- If you have mini loaf pans divide the meat in half and put it in 2 loaf pans. If not you can use foil to hold the meat.
- To use foil take half of your meat mixture and place it on a sheet of aluminum foil. Mold your meat into a rectangular loaf shape. Bring in the sides of the foil and fold them down. Fold the top and bottom sides and bring them in to make a foil loaf pan for the meatloaf. Repeat with the other half of the meat.
- Preheat air fryer at 370 degrees F for 3 minutes.
- Cook both loaves at 370°F for 30 minutes, or an internal temperature of 165°F has been reached. Use an instant-read thermometer to check the temperature, don’t try to just go by time.
- To make a simple sauce combine the ketchup, brown sugar, and dry mustard in a small bowl. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Or use ketchup, barbecue sauce, or chili sauce.
- If you’d like to glaze your meatloaf, brush the top with the sauce when the meatloaf is done cooking. Air fry it for another 2-3 minutes to form a sweet glaze.
- Once done cooking, allow your loaf to rest for about 10 minutes. Slice and serve.
- Don’t overmix the ingredients.
- Preheat the air fryer.
- Let the cooked meatloaf rest for 10 minutes, so it cuts cleanly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.