Air fryer spring rolls are a quick appetizer for dinner, parties, or any occasion! These bite-sized appetizers are fun, easy to make, and perfect for serving with your dipping sauce of choice.
Air fryer spring rolls are a healthier alternative to deep-fried spring rolls while still being a crispy appetizer with the same fantastic flavor. The delicious filling is full of quickly sauteed veggies for a vegan recipe, or add some meat if you prefer.
Making homemade spring rolls can seem intimidating, but give it a try and learn how to make air fryer spring rolls! Rolling and filling the delicate spring roll pastry is easier than it seems at first, and it is actually lots of fun!
Spring Rolls vs. Egg Rolls
Both are fried Asian appetizers that are popular in the U.S., and it is easy to confuse them. The main difference between them is the wrappers.
Egg rolls – These have a thick wrapper made from wheat, eggs, and water. The thick wrapper makes them easier to stuff with filling, so they are usually larger and more substantial.
Spring rolls – A Chinese spring roll has a thin wheat-based wrapper. The wrapper is more delicate, which makes it crispier. These are thinner and smaller, making them an excellent appetizer.
To make things even more confusing, there are also round rice paper wrappers used for uncooked Vietnamese-style spring rolls.
Where to Find Spring Roll Wrappers
Traditional spring roll wrappers can be challenging to find at most grocery stores. My local grocery has many Asian ingredients, including egg roll and wonton wrappers, but it doesn’t carry spring roll wrappers.
So your best bet for finding them is to go to an Asian market, where you can find them in the frozen section. Make sure you don’t buy the kind made with rice flour since they will not work in this recipe. I suggest using square ones that are 8×8 inches or 10×10 inches.
Wonton wrappers look similar, but they are too small for this recipe. Sometimes wrappers are labeled for both, which means they are egg roll wrappers being marketed as spring roll wrappers. An egg roll wrapper will work if it is all you can find, although they are generally not vegan.
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
Veggies – The filling includes napa cabbage, mung bean sprouts, carrots, shiitake mushroom, and green onions. You can substitute different veggies, but make sure everything is finely chopped or shredded.
Cornstarch and water mixture – The slurry is used to thicken the filling. The thin wrappers don’t hold up well to moisture, so this is a crucial step. A second cornstarch water slurry is used to seal the edges during assembly.
Oil – Oil makes these crispy. An air fryer uses much less oil than deep-frying, but some oil is necessary! Avocado or olive oil are my favorites for air frying. For this recipe I prefer to brush on the oil on rather than using a spray bottle.
Seasoning – The filling is seasoned with sugar, salt, and ground pepper.
How to Make Air Fryer Spring Rolls
1. Prepare Filling
Ensure the vegetables are shredded or finely chopped, so they cook quickly. Large vegetable pieces may be too crunchy after cooking.
Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add some oil. Then add the napa cabbage, bean sprouts, carrots, and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes to soften the vegetables.
Add the green onion along with the sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix, then add the cornstarch and water mixture. Cook for another 1-2 minutes until the filling thickens, then remove it from the heat and transfer it to a medium bowl.
2. Fold and Assemble
Folding these appetizers can seem intimidating, but it is actually easy and kind of fun. The key is to get everything ready before you start. Set the thawed wrappers on a flat surface and have the filling ready. Mix the second bowl of cornstarch and water to seal the edges.
Take a single wrapper and lay it out in a diamond shape. Brush a little of the cornstarch mixture along the top corner of the wrapper. Then put 3 tablespoons of spring roll filling in the center. Don’t add too much filling! Fold the bottom third of the wrapper up to cover the filling.
Then fold in the left and right corners to look like an envelope. Roll it up from the bottom, trying to make it tight, so there aren’t air pockets. Press the top corner down to seal, set it aside on a baking tray, and assemble another.
3. Air Fry
Once you have enough to fill the air fryer basket, set it to preheat at 400 degrees F for 3 minutes. Preheating isn’t always necessary, but it is essential for things you want to be extra crispy, like this recipe!
While it preheats, use a pastry brush to coat each roll with cooking oil. Brushing it on makes them crisper and more evenly browned. But if you prefer, you can use an oil spray bottle instead. Don’t use commercial spray oil. It can contain preservatives that can damage the air fryer basket.
Once the air fryer is preheated, add the spring rolls in a single layer, leaving space between them. The air needs to be able to circulate in the basket.
Cook at 400 F for 12-15 minutes, flipping them over with tongs halfway through the cooking time. They are done when they are brown and crispy.
Serve these delicious spring rolls with your favorite dipping sauce! Some great sauce ideas are sweet chili sauce, hot mustard sauce, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, or sweet and sour sauce.
How to Store
Leftover spring rolls can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 1-2 days. To reheat them put them back in the air fryer for 5-8 minutes at 370 degrees F. They will not be as crispy after reheating.
These also freeze very well, especially uncooked. Put them on a baking sheet, cover with foil, and place in the freezer for 4-5 hours or until they’re frozen solid.
Once they are frozen, place them together in a freezer bag and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw completely at room temperature, brush them with oil, and cook them as if they were freshly prepared spring rolls.
Vegetables – Change up the combination of vegetables included in your spring roll! Use portabella mushrooms, green cabbage, bell peppers, or bok choy. Just make sure whatever you use is shredded or thinly diced.
Meat – These don’t have to have a veggie filling. Add some ground pork or shredded chicken if you want to include meat as an ingredient.
Tips for Making the Best Crispy Air Fryer Spring Rolls
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
- Make sure the veggies or other filling ingredients are finely diced or shredded.
- Don’t overfill them.
- Always preheat the air fryer for this recipe.
- Brush the oil on instead of using a spray bottle.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Air Fryer Spring Roll Recipe
For the filling ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups napa cabbage finely shredded
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup carrots finely shredded
- 1 cup mushrooms finely chopped
- ½ cup finely sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 ½ tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8-12 spring roll wrappers *see notes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 2-3 tablespoon oil
- Make sure the veggies are finely shredded or chopped.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the napa cabbage, bean sprouts, shredded carrots, and mushrooms. Stir constantly until the vegetables start to soften, about 2-3 minutes.2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 2 cups napa cabbage, 2 cups bean sprouts, 1 cup carrots, 1 cup mushrooms
- Add green onion, cornstarch mixture, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook for another 1-2 minutes. The vegetables should be cooked down while having a slight crunch. Remove the vegetable mixture from the heat and set it aside.½ cup finely sliced green onion, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1 ½ tablespoon white sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Lay out a single spring roll wrapper, oriented in a diamond shape with a corner facing you. Brush some of the second cornstarch slurry mixture along the corner in the top half of the wrapper.8-12 spring roll wrappers *see notes, 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Scoop about 3 tablespoons of the filling into the center of the wrapper. Do not overfill the wrappers. Fold the lower third of the wrapper over the filling, then fold in both the left and right corners over the filling. It should resemble an envelope at this point.
- Continue to roll it from the bottom up. Press down along the seam gently to seal, brushing on more of the cornstarch mixture if needed. Repeat until the filling is gone.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F for 3 minutes.
- While it preheats, brush each side of the spring rolls with a thin layer of oil and place in a single layer in your air fryer basket, leaving about ½ inch of space between them. You may need to cook them in batches depending on the size of your air fryer. You can use spray oil if you prefer, but brushing the oil leads to more even coverage and crispiness.2-3 tablespoon oil
- Air fry at 400 F for 12-15 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time.
WrappersYou can find frozen spring roll wrappers at most Asian grocery stores. The wrappers are square, made from wheat, and are not the same as the round rice flour wrappers used for uncooked spring rolls. Egg rolls wrappers aren’t exactly the same, but can also be used. Make sure the veggies or other filling ingredients are finely diced or shredded. Add cooked ground pork or shredded chicken if desired. For best results, always preheat the air fryer for this recipe. For the crispiest spring rolls, brush the oil on instead of using a spray bottle.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.