Air fryer Sweet Potato Chips are easy to make, and they’re so crazy good! Crispy around the edges, creamy inside, and loaded with flavor, these easy sweet potato slices in the air fryer are the perfect snack or side for any meal.
Packed with flavor and nutrition, sweet potatoes are an easy way to get fiber, vitamins, and minerals into your diet. It helps that they’re delicious, and when you make them in the air fryer, they’re perfectly snackable and munchable.
I love making air fryer Sweet Potato Chips. We munch on them with various sauces, I serve them as a side with dinner, and they make a great snack. I love them, even when they are cold and leftover!
You can make this sweet potato air fryer recipe in any kind of air fryer – a basket-style air fryer or an oven-style. You can make as many or as few as you need and you can do all the prep work ahead of time.
Have I mentioned how versatile this recipe is? You can mix up the seasonings to change the flavor in a variety of ways – make sure to check out all my suggestions below.
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
You only need a few ingredients to make this easy sweet potato air fryer recipe, and you probably have most of them on hand already! Use fresh sweet potatoes for this recipe, not frozen.
Sweet potatoes – Sweet potatoes with a large diameter will make big chips, and a smaller sweet potato will make smaller chips. I usually buy organic sweet potatoes, which are on the smaller side and work well in this recipe.
Oil – Use a neutral-flavored oil like vegetable oil or peanut oil to get a good crisp on the outside.
Salt and Pepper – Sweet potatoes need seasoning! I use a large-flake salt like kosher salt.
Paprika – Paprika adds terrific flavor without masking the sweet potato taste.
Find More Air Fryer Recipes!
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
This is an easy air fryer sweet potato recipe, and once you’ve got the slicing done, you’re most of the way finished! Plus, when you make them in the air fryer, they’re done so quickly and without a bunch of extra oil!
Scrub the potatoes, but leave the skin on. The skin adds fiber and nutrients so don’t peel!
Slice the sweet potatoes about ⅛-inch thick. Use a mandolin slicer if you have one so they are the same thickness and cook evenly.
This step is optional, so you can skip it if you are in a hurry. I like my chips crispy, so I make time for it!
Put the slices in a bowl of cold water and let them soak for about 15 minutes. This draws out some of the starch on the surface of the slices.
3. Air Fry
Set the air fryer to preheat at 350 degrees F for 3 minutes. Drain the sweet potato slices and pat them dry.
Toss the potato slices with the oil, paprika, and salt. Put them in the air fryer in a single layer, making sure to leave room for the air to circulate. If you overcrowd them they will take longer to cook, so cook in batches if necessary.
Air fry them at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Then take the basket out and flip the chips over. Put them back in for another 5-10 minutes, until they are brown on the edges and have reached your desired crispness.
Perfect as a standalone snack, as a side to a hearty meal, or just for munching, these homemade sweet potato chips in the air fryer are so versatile! Here are some of my favorite ways to eat them:
- Dip and dunk! Dip your chips into Blooming Onion Sauce or Whipped Feta Dip or hummus.
- As a side dish – I love these chips with a succulent steak or more casual chicken thighs.
- Pack them into your lunch.
Make a game day feast with other snackables like pasta chips and egg rolls.
How To Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips Ahead of Time
Sweet potatoes are NOT like regular potatoes and don’t turn brown after cutting. So you can prep them a day or two ahead of time!
I like to wash, slice, and soak the potatoes and then toss them with the oil and seasonings. Then I’ll pop them into the fridge until I’m ready to cook them.
This way they’re prepped, and ready to cook!
It’s so easy to change up the flavor of your sweet potato crisps, or chips. Instead of paprika, try:
- Go spicy! Try them with your favorite spicy rub. My son loves these with spicy Montreal steak seasoning.
- Ole! Sprinkle on taco seasoning or, for a spicy kick try chipotle powder, and serve them with crema and lime.
- Keep it simple – salt and freshly ground pepper really let the sweet potato flavor shine through!
- Holiday flavors – sprinkle them with pumpkin spice or cinnamon.
- Go Southwestern with your favorite chili powder!
And so much more!
How to Store Leftover Air-Fried Sweet Potato Chips
Leftover homemade chips will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days in an airtight container. To reheat them, fire the air fryer back up and reheat them until crispy and warm.
Yes! They have very little added oil and lots of nutrients and fiber. You can certainly add an unhealthy dipping sauce, but by themselves they are a healthy snack.
Yes, if you want the crispiest chips soak them. The water helps remove some of the starch, which makes for crispier chips. They will still taste good if you skip the soaking, you just won’t be able to make them as crispy.
Key Tips for This Recipe
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
Soak the chips briefly before air frying for the crispiest results.
Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket, cook in batches if you need to.
Flip the chips over partway through the cooking time.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
- 2 sweet potatoes small
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Wash the sweet potatoes.2 sweet potatoes
- Slice them thinly into 1/8 inch thick slices. A mandolin is excellent for making uniform slices, but a knife works too.
- Put the slices in a bowl of cold water and let them sit for 15 minutes. This step is optional, but recommended for the crispiest chips.
- Preheat the air fryer at 350 degrees F.
- Drain the slices and pat them dry. Then put them in a bowl and add the paprika, salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil and toss to mix.1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 2 teaspoon oil
- Put them in the air fryer in a single layer. Air fry them at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Pull the basket out and flip the slices over. Then air fry for another 5-10 minutes, until they have reached the crispiness you like.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.