Apple picking season is winding down around here, but I am still making apple desserts. This Apple Cobbler is a great way to get apple pie taste without going to all the trouble of making a pastry crust!
The recipe is just a whole bunch of apples tossed with a little sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and topped off with a fluffy biscuit topping. I like to use lots of apples in my cobblers, so that the biscuit topping doesn’t overwhelm the fruit.
For pies I like to use crisp apples like Granny Smith so the pie holds its shape. But I like my cobblers juicy, so I used softer Cortland and Gala apples for this dish. Topping the cobbler off with a sprinkling of sparkling sugar adds a little crunch, and the sparkle makes the dessert seem more special with no extra effort.
- 8 apples
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoon butter
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon white sparkling sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Core, peel and slice the apples and put in a bowl.
- Toss the apples with the lemon juice, then add the brown sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.
- Spray a deep square 8" baking dish with cooking spray and add the apples.
- Bake the apples for 15-20 minutes, and then add the topping.
- For the topping combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt mix well.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and cut into the flour, either with a pastry cutter, food processor or two forks. Mix until the mixture is in small crumbs.
- Add the buttermilk and stir to just combine.
- Drop the topping by spoonfuls on top of the baked apples, in 8 or 9 round blobs.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly with the sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 25 more minutes, until the topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 13mg Sodium: 208mg Carbohydrates: 59g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 35g Protein: 3g
What is your favorite apple dessert?