I made this delicious bread pudding using the organic fruits and nuts that I received from Bella Viva Orchards. I love apricots and almonds, and I thought they would make a great combination for a bread pudding. I tried to make the recipe not too unhealthy, so the recipes has less eggs, sugar and butter than most bread pudding recipes. Even with that it was plenty sweet, since the dried apricots are so sweet they don’t need extra sugar.
- 2 cup bread, cut into cubes
- 2 Tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 2 eggs
- 1 can evaporated skim milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray and put half the bread cubes in it.
- Mix agave nectar with cinnamon and nutmeg and drizzle over the bread cubes.Then add a layer of apricots, and top it with the remaining bread cubes.
- Mix the eggs, milk, and vanilla together, and pour over the bread cubes over the dish, cover, and put in the oven.
- After 5 minutes reduce the temperature to 250 and bake for an hour and a half.
- Chop the almonds and mix them with the melted butter and brown sugar.
- When the bread pudding is done cooking take it out of the oven and raise the heat to 400. Add the almond mixture on top and bake it uncovered for 5 more minutes to brown the top
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348 Saturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 69mg Sodium: 186mg Carbohydrates: 51g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 42g Protein: 10g