When I was growing up one of my favorite meals that my mom made was baked chicken, cooked on top of rice mixed with cream of mushroom soup.Â But I donâ€™t like to cook with cream soups, because they have so much fat and sodium.Â So this is a healthier version of that meal, using tomatoes instead of cream soup and adding more vegetables.
It is a great school year meal because I can put it together and let it bake while I take kids to dance or soccer, since the hands on time is short.Â Plus there are enough vegetables in the rice that all you need to add to it is a green salad for a complete meal.Â I prefer to make this with chicken thighs, because I think chicken breasts get too dried out in the amount of time it takes to cook the rice.
- 1 cup rice
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Mix all the ingredients except the chicken together and spread in a 9×12 baking dish.
- Add chicken on top and sprinkle with a little additional salt, pepper and parsley.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342 Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 107mg Sodium: 701mg Carbohydrates: 45g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Protein: 26g