This is a popular British recipe. I read British murder mysteries sometimes, and this keeps being mentioned as something they eat, so I decided we should try it. It is basically sausages, served with onion gravy and mashed potatoes. I think to be really authentic it should also be served with green peas, but since we hate peas we served it with a salad. This was a popular dish with my family, mainly because they love mashed potatoes and I don’t make them very often. I really liked the gravy, it added a lot of flavor to the meal.
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 pork sausage links
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoon flour
- 2 Tablespoon red wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Place in saucepan, cover with water and cook 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking grill or broil the sausage until cooked through, also about 20 minutes.
- To make the gravy heat the oil in a pan. Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes until nicely caramelized. Sprinkle 2 T. of flour over the onions and stir.
- Add the wine and let it evaporate. Then add the chicken stock and cook on low, stirring until it thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the potatoes are done mash them with the butter and milk, and serve everything together.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 495Saturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 1051mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 6gSugar: 1gProtein: 20g