This Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is pure comfort food! Easy to make in a pressure cooker this one pot dinner is features tender beef and mushrooms in a sour cream sauce with egg noodles. This is an easy family friendly meal.
Beef Stroganoff is one of my family’s favorite comfort food dinners. And the best thing about making this classic dinner in the Instant Pot is that it becomes a quick one pot dinner.
You can cook the egg noodles in the Instant Pot right along with the beef, for an easy all in one weeknight meal you can make from scratch, without shortcuts like cream of mushroom soup.
The pressure cooker is great for cooking homemade pasta dinners, like Fettuccine Alfredo and Creamy Gnocchi.
The classic ingredients for beef stroganoff are beef, mushrooms, sour cream and egg noodles. These are essential to any beef stroganoff recipe!
What Kind of Beef?
After cooking you want the beef in the stroganoff to be tender. Pressure cooking helps with this, since it cooking at high pressure makes beef tender fast.
You can use prepackaged stew beef for the stroganoff, or use beef sirloin, steak tips or round steak. Make sure whatever you use is cut into bite size pieces.
Can You Use Ground Beef?
Ground beef is fine for making Instant Pot beef stroganoff and using it makes the recipe even quicker and simpler, since it cooks much faster. Ground beef is inexpensive and still gives you a lot of classic strognaoff taste.
My family strongly prefers the more stew like texture of using cubed beef, so I rarely make it with ground beef. But I include directions for substituting ground beef in the recipe card below.
You can find the complete ingredient list and quantities in the recipe card below. The rest of the ingredients in the stroganoff are:
- Oil – for browning the beef
- Mushrooms, onions and garlic – these vegetables flavor the stew
- Flour – for thickening the dish
- Beef broth – for the sauce
- Red wine – (optional) – I like to use wine in the sauce. It makes the it richer and also gives the final dish a slight bit of sweetness. You can replace the wine with beef broth if you prefer.
- Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper – for seasoning
- Egg noodles – Egg noodles are traditional for stroganoff.
- Sour cream – The sour cream thickens the dish and adds a lot of creamy taste.
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
1. Brown the beef
Put the Instant Pot on Saute and let it heat up for a few minutes. Then add the oil to the Instant Pot and brown the beef, stirring.
It is best to brown the beef half at a time, so that you don’t crowd the pot. Once the first batch of beef is browned on all side take it out of the Instant Pot and add the second half.
Once all the beef is browned remove it and set it aside for a few minutes.
2. Add the vegetables
Add the mushrooms and onions to the hot Instant Pot and cook them for 3-4 minutes, stirring. Then add the garlic and stir for another minutes. At this point turn the Instant Pot off.
3. Deglaze the Instant Pot
Add the wine to the Instant Pot and stir to remove any bits of browned meat or vegetables stuck to the bottom of the pot. Don’t skip this step or you are likely to get a burn error when you bring the Instant Pot to pressure.
4. Cook the stroganoff
Add the previously browned beef, beef broth, flour, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce to the Instant Pot and stir to mix well. Then put the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the sealing ring is in place and valve is closed.
Set the Instant Pot for Manual, High pressure and set the timer for 12 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to reach pressure.
5. Cook the noodles
Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking open the valve and manually release the pressure. Then take the lid off and add the egg noodles to the pot.
Stir the noodles into the broth. Replace the lid and close the valve. You might have to run the lid under cold water to cool it off so it reseals on the Instant Pot.
Set the Instant Pot for Manual, high pressure, for 5 minutes. This time it should reach pressure in just a few minutes because the ingredients are already so hot.
6. Add the sour cream
When the pressure cooker finishes do a quick release and release the pressure manually. Then stir the sour cream into the noodles and serve.
Can I Reheat This?
If you have leftovers you can store them in the refrigerator and reheat them in the microwave. This dish thickens on standing and you will want to stir in a little milk or sour cream when you reheat it. This dish doesn’t freeze well.
How to Serve Beef Stroganoff
This is a complete meal in itself. I like to sprinkle it with a little bit of parsley and serve it with a simple green salad.
This is a rich and filling dinner. It makes a delicious weeknight dinner that is full of flavor, even though it cooks so quickly.
Find More Instant Pot Beef Dinners
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Easy to make in a pressure cooker this one pot dinner is features tender beef and mushrooms in a sour cream sauce with egg noodles.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds beef, stew meat or beef sirloin, cubed
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Turn the Instant Pot on Saute and let it heat for 2 minutes. Add the oil and half the beef. Cook stirring until the beef is mostly browned. Use a spoon to remove the beef to a plate and brown the other half of the beef. Don't try to brown it all at once, it will overcrowd the Instant Pot. Once all the beef is browned set it aside for a few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and onions to the Instant Pot and cook stirring for about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more, then turn the Instant Pot off.
- Add the wine to the Instant Pot and stir to deglaze. Scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot to get rid of any bits of meat or vegetables stuck to the bottom. Not deglazing the Instant Pot can lead to a Burn error.
- Return the browned beef to the Instant Pot, along with the beef broth, flour, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to mix it all together.
- Then put the lid on and set the Instant Pot to Manual, high pressure, for 12 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to reach pressure. Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking manually release the pressure.
- Add the egg noodles and stir them in. Replace the lid and reseal the Instant Pot. You might need to run some cold water on the lid to get it to reseal. Then set the Instant Pot on Manual, High pressure, for 5 minutes. It should reach pressure again quickly.
- Once the Instant Pot finishes release the pressure manually, remove the lid, and stir in the sour cream.
You can also make this dinner with ground beef. Follow the instructions as written, using ground beef instead of cubes of beef. Then skip step #5 above, and only bring the Instant Pot to pressure once, for 5 minutes, with the egg noodles and beef. This cuts about 20 minutes off the total time.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 727Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 238mgSodium: 1429mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 70g
Nutrition facts are estimates.
2 thoughts on “Creamy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff”
Great and lovely recipe!
Delicious! Have made other IP stroganoffs from others but they weren’t a wow for us. Everyone said wow! Adding the egg noodles was perfection. Thanks for the tip to put water on the seal when a dish needs more cook time. Didn’t like fighting to reseal the lid.