Summer is in full swing, and it is time for outdoor picnics and potlucks. I get bored making the same old recipes when I am asked to bring a dish to pass, so I have been trying to mix things up and add more variety to my picnic recipes. I made this broccoli salad for a recent cookout, and it was very tasty. It is a nice combination of broccoli and tomatoes with bacon, blue cheese and sunflower seeds.
The sunflower seeds add a bit of crunch and texture, while the blue cheese gives the dressing a hearty flavor! My family doesn’t like salads that are swimming in mayonnaise, so I used just a little bit to make the the salad creamy.
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
- 2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup blue cheese
- Cook bacon and set aside to drain.
- While the bacon is cooking chop the broccoli. Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 3 minutes, then drain and run under cool water.
- Put the broccoli in a bowl and add the red onions and cherry tomatoes.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces.
- Fold in the cheese, sunflower seeds, and bacon and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl mix the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, and salt.
- Stir the dressing into the vegetables and stir to combine.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 184Saturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 391mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
What dish do you like to bring to potlucks?