I love sugar cookies – they are simple and so delicious. So when I saw a recipe for Browned Butter Sugar Cookies on Pinterest I was intrigued, and knew I had to make some of my own.
I changed up the recipe that I found on Bake or Break by dipping them in candy corn colored sprinkles to make them more seasonal, and they look and taste great!
The key to this recipe is browning the butter, which involves heating the butter in a frying pan until it just turns brown. The butter will foam up as it heats, and then all of a sudden start turning brown in swirls in the pan. It took me about 10 minutes to brown the butter.
The browned butter gives the sugar cookies a delicious nutty flavor. Â They are crisp on the outside and a little bit chewy on the inside.
I flattened the cookies with a drinking glass, and then dipped them in the sprinkles while still on the glass. Â Then I used a knife to take them off and put them on a cookie sheet. Since I dipped the cookies in sprinkles I decreased the amount of sugar in the recipe, so the cookies wouldn’t be too sweet.
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cup flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat a pan over medium heat to melt the butter. Stir constantly until the butter foams and turns light brown.
- Remove the pan from the burner and let it cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Once the butter is room temperature combine it with the two sugars and cream until well combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt to the mixture and blend until just mixed.
- Refrigerate the dough for 1/2 hour to make it easier to shape.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and flatten the dough with a drinking glass.
- Dip in colored sprinkles.
- Place on a parchment paper baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 114Saturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 153mgCarbohydrates: 13gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g