Cake mix cookies with cream cheese are simple to make and taste amazing. All it takes is a box of cake mix and a few simple ingredients for delicious homemade cookies. These cake mix cookies are soft and chewy with a rich, buttery taste.
Making cookies from a cake mix is a great way to simplify baking. Whether you are a beginning baker or just don’t have the time and energy after a busy day, this recipe lets you skip the measuring cups and have from-scratch cookies ready to go in no time at all.
These are sometimes called butter cookies because of the rich taste from adding cream cheese to the batter. This sweet treat is easy to decorate with sprinkles or powdered sugar for any occasion.
Try these recipes for Cool Whip Cookies, Vanilla Cream Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies, Half Moon Cookies, or Chocolate Caramel Cookies for more tasty sweet treats!
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
White Cake Mix – A yellow cake mix will give you the same taste but a more yellow color. You can ignore the instructions on the box. The mix is used dry by itself.
Cream Cheese – Use full-fat cream cheese for the best results.
Butter – The butter combines with cream cheese to give these their rich buttery taste.
Egg – The egg binds everything together.
Vanilla extract – This adds a little more vanilla flavor.
Sprinkles – If you make these for a holiday, pick sprinkles to match. Or just use bright, festive colors for an everyday celebration.
How to Make Cake Mix Cookies with Cream Cheese
The critical step in preparation is to soften the butter and cream cheese! Get them out of the refrigerator an hour or so before you plan to bake. This will make it easier to combine the ingredients and ensure the cookies are soft and chewy.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Get out your baking sheets and line them with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. This will help keep the cookies from spreading too much. If you don’t have either parchment paper or baking mats, spray the baking sheets with nonstick spray.
2. Mix the Cookie Dough
Use a stand mixer or a hand mixer for this recipe, since combining the butter and cream cheese with a spoon would be challenging. Put the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a mixer and blend on medium-high until creamy.
Then add the egg and vanilla and mix. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the mixing bowl so that everything gets mixed in. Finally, add the dry cake mix and combine on low speed to form a thick dough.
Put your chosen sprinkles in a shallow bowl or on a plate. Use a medium cookie scoop to get dough balls about 1 1/2 inches. Roll them between your hands, so they are round.
Put them on the plate of sprinkles and roll the dough balls until they are covered. These look best if you go overboard with the decorations and coat the balls thoroughly.
Place the balls on the baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between them so they can spread. Then bake them in the 350-degree oven for about 11 minutes.
They are done when the edges look cooked, and the middle is set. Take them out and let them cool on the sheets for 5 minutes before placing them on wire racks to finish cooling.
How to Store
These can be stored in an airtight container for 3-5 days at room temperature. They don’t need to be refrigerated.
These cake mix cookies also freeze well. They will keep in the freezer for about 3 months. To thaw them, just leave the container on the counter overnight.
Cake Mix – Yellow cake mix works fine and tastes similar to the white one. Other varieties work, too, and it seems like there are always new varieties of cake mix every time I’m at the store! Try red velvet cake mix, carrot cake mix, or chocolate cake mix for simple yet different cake mix cookies.
Decorations – Change up the decorations for the occasion. Use funfetti sprinkles for the ultimate birthday cookie or black and orange ones for Halloween. These treats are also gorgeous when rolled in sparkling sugar or powdered sugar.
Tips for Making the Best Cake Mix Cookies
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
- Soften the butter and cream cheese by leaving them at room temperature for an hour or so before starting baking.
- Don’t just add a few sprinkles. These look best when you coat them thoroughly.
- Use parchment paper or silicone mats on the cookie sheets to prevent them from spreading too much.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Cake Mix Cookies with Cream Cheese Recipe
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 box white cake mix 15.25 ounces
- Sprinkles or powdered sugar for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a mixer bowl, combine the cream cheese and butter. Mix until creamy.8 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup butter
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the package of cake mix and mix until the batter is thick and everything is mixed together.1 box white cake mix
- Put the sprinkles or powdered sugar on a small plate or in a shallow bowl.Sprinkles or powdered sugar for decorating
- Use a medium scoop or spoon to make balls about 1 1/2 inches. Roll the balls between your palms until they are round. Then roll them in the sprinkles until they are completely covered.
- Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between balls. Bake for 9-11 minutes, until the edges are set, and the middle looks cooked.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before placing them on wire racks to finish cooling.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
1 thought on “Cake Mix Cookies with Cream Cheese”
your instruction is very details. I highly appreciated it.
visit me at Bloxorz