These rich spice cookies are traditional Scandinavian cookies. Crisp and tasty they are a delicious homemade cookie the entire family will love. Flavored with cinnamon and cardamom they make the house smell amazing as they bake!
Cardamom is one of the most expensive spices in the world, along with saffron and vanilla. So when I bought an entire jar of ground cardamom to make my Creamy Lamb Stew I knew I need to find some more recipes to use it up!
What is Cardamom?
Cardamom is made from the seed pods of a variety of plants that are closely related to ginger. Cardamom has a complicated flavor that has elements of citrus, mint and herbs and smells amazing.
Interestingly, it is used is most often used in Indian cooking and in Scandinavian baking. I enjoy cooking food from different parts of the world and it is neat to see how they overlap and yet use things in completely different ways!
Cardamom cookies are popular in Scandinavian countries, and these cookies are a simple spiced cookie in that tradition. They are kind of like Snickerdoodles, but the are rolled in sugar mixed with cardamom instead of cinnamon.
The cardamom gives the cookies a speckled look, and the aroma of the cookies as they bake is rich and powerful. These cookies have crispy edges and but are soft in the middle for a nice combination of textures.
The dough for these cookies is very buttery, and spreads out a lot during baking. To combat this you should:
- Chill the dough as directed before you bake it.
- Do not put the cookie balls on warm cookie sheets. If you don’t have enough cookie sheets for all the cookies let the cookie sheets cool in between batches.
If you skip chilling the dough or put the cookie balls on a warm cookie sheet you will end up with a big smushed together mass of cookies!
Cookies Make the Perfect Gift
I love to share homemade cookies with my friends and family! Food is a great way to bring people together during the holiday season, either in person or from a distance.
Why not bake some cookies this year and put together a cookie gift box for your friends? Here are some cookie recipe ideas for gift giving!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
For rolling the cookies
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 3 Tablespoon sugar
- Beat the butter and sugar together until combined. Then add the eggs in one at a time and mix.
- Slowly pour in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and the 1/2 t. of cardamom.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours. Don't skip this step!
- When you are read to bake the cookies preheat the oven to 325.
- Combine the remaining 1 t. cardamom with the 3 T. of sugar on a plate.
- Roll the dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter and roll in the cardamom/sugar mixture. Space the balls about 2 inches apart because they will spread.
- Place on cookies sheets lined with parchment paper and bake for 12-15 minutes,until the edges are just starting to brown.
These cookies spread a lot. Don't skip the chilling time. In addition don't put the cookie balls on warm cookies sheets. If you are making multiple batches and don't have enough cookie sheets let them cool off in between use. Otherwise you end up with a large mass of smushed together cookies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 98Saturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 11gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g