Apples are one of the best things about fall! We always enjoy using our fresh picked apples to make desserts, like this Caramel Apple Cake.
We have 2 apple trees in our yard, and since we don’t spray them the apples we get are not very pretty – but they are tasty. So we don’t usually just them, instead we make delicious fall desserts. Apple sauce, apple cobbler, baked apples, apple pies – there are so many ways to enjoy this fall fruit.
This cake is a family favorite because the apples are baked right into the middle of the cake, which keeps it nice and moist. I think this cake tastes delicious even without the Caramel sauce, by my family always wants to me to put it on top for extra seasonal flavor. After all you can’t go wrong when you combine apples with caramel!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 apples
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 teaspoon brown sugar
Caramel Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Preheat the oven to 350 and spray a Bundt or Tube pan with cooking spray.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar together in a bowl.
- Mix the oil, apple sauce, eggs, and vanilla in another bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix thoroughly.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Toss the apples with the cinnamon and sugar.
- Put half the batter into the prepared pan. Top with the apples. Pour the rest of the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, and let cool.
Caramel Sauce Instructions
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring the sauce to a rolling boil. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Drizzle over the cake.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481Saturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 431mgCarbohydrates: 73gFiber: 2gSugar: 45gProtein: 5g