This post was sponsored by Heluva Good! Cheese as part of an Influence Central campaign and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
I love cheese and so does my family, so it frequently takes a starring role in our lunches snacks and dinners. This recipe for Chicken & Chorizo Quesadillas perfectly combines gooey, melted cheese with a few simple ingredients for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
I combined two of my favorite types of cheeses, Sharp Cheddar Cheese and Monterey Jack Cheese to make these tasty quesadillas. Cheese makes a great snack food, especially paired up with your favorite crackers, but it is fun to be creative and to expand the use of cheese beyond snacking.
I like this meal because it is so easy to throw together after a busy weekday. I used left over rotisserie chicken and combined it with chorizo sausage to add some spicy flavor. Chorizo is so spicy that a little goes a long way! Since the sausage is fully cooked it just needs to be quickly browned in the skillet before it is combined into the tortilla.
After browning the sausage I layered the the tortillas with a few slices of Monterey Jack, topped it with chicken, chorizo, scallions and tomatoes, and added the Extra Sharp Cheddar on top. Then I folded the tortillas in half and browned them in a hot cast iron skillet.
It only takes about 20 minutes to make the meal from start to finish! The family can eat the tortillas as they come off the skillet or you can keep them warm on a cookie sheet at about 250 F in the oven and serve them all up when you are done. My family is always impatient to start eating!
I served these gooey quesadillas with Radish Mango Salsa, and other favorites like sour cream and guacamole make great toppings too. One of the nice things about this meal is that it is easy to adjust it to your family’s taste!
Find more delicious Chicken Recipes:
- 4 flour tortillas
- 2 scallion
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 8 oz chorizo sausage
- 8 oz cooked chicken
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 Tablespoon oil
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium high heat with 1 T of oil.
- Chop the scallions, tomatoes, chicken and chorizo and slice the cheese while the skillet heats.
- Add the chorizo to the pan and toss for 3 minutes to brown, then remove it from the pan.
- Put some slices of cheese on half of each tortilla, then top with chicken, chorizo, scallions, tomatoes and finish with more cheese.
- Fold tortilla in half over the fillings.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet and brown the tortillas on each side one at a time, flipping after 2-3 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve with salsa, sour cream and more cheese.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 522Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 249mgCarbohydrates: 89gFiber: 5gSugar: 41gProtein: 13g