This is a quick and easy recipe that is perfect for busy weeknights. One of my roommates in college was Indian, and she introduced me to Indian cooking. The only problem is traditional Indian cooking is time consuming, and usually ends up getting most of the dishes in the kitchen dirt!. So this is an Indian recipe with some short cuts, like using canned tomatoes with green chilies, that ends up being fast enough for a weeknight meal.
Traditionally Chicken Tikka Masala is a very rich and creamy meal, so I also cut the amount of cream in the recipe to make it less fattening. The recipe calls for garam masala, which is an Indian spice that is carried in most grocery stores, but if you don’t have it you could substitute curry powder.
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts
- 1 red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1/3 cup cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and cut the chicken breasts into small cubes. Cook the chicken and onion until the chicken is browned.
- Add the garlic and cook 2 more minutes. Add in all the spices and mix well.
- Stir in the can of tomatoes and bring a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Mix in the cream and cook 5 more minutes on low. Serve over rice if desired.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Saturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 91mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 25g