This is a nice chicken stew type recipe using tomatillos.Â Around here we only see tomatillos in the stores for a few weeks, so it is nice to make something using them when they are available.Â I got this recipe from my mom, although she usually makes it with pork and I like it with chicken.Â It is quick and easy, and can be make in about half an hour.
- 1 lb chicken, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 lb tomatillos, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan. Then mix the chicken with the cumin, chili powder and pepper. Brown in the oil for 2-3 minutes until no longer pink, and remove from pan and set aside.
- Brown 1 cup chopped onions in pan for 2-3 minutes. Then add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the cubed tomatillos and salt and stir well. After 1 minute return the chicken to the pan. Cover and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the tomatoes. Top with coriander sprigs and serve with rice.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Saturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 395mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 6gSugar: 12gProtein: 24g