I have been trying hard to lose weight this summer, but sometimes it is hard to resist desserts! My 17 year old had crepes on a trip to Montreal this spring, and has been bugging me to make them for her. Once I did a little research I realized that crepes are actually pretty low in fat, it is just adding rich fillings and whipped cream that make them calorie laden. So I made fruit crepes using fruit and some chocolate syrup for a delicious low calorie dessert.
Crepes seem kind of intimidating at first, but they actually aren’t that hard to make. According to Julia Child the secret is to make the batter ahead of time and let it sit for a few hours, so that is what I did. My crepes didn’t exactly end up perfectly round, but they were close enough.
Then we put fresh fruit inside, and more on top, and added just a few tablespoons of chocolate syrup. We used blueberries and cherries, but I want to try bananas next time, since I love bananas with chocolate. The result was a delicious treat that I didn’t feel guilty about indulging in! Each crepe has about 120 calories, and with the fruit and chocolate syrup the total calorie count is around 220, which is pretty good for something that tastes so decadent.
Here is the recipe, with the crepes recipe from Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 cup fresh fruit
- 1 Tablespoon chocolate syrup
- Mix the flour and eggs in a bowl. Add in the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Let the batter sit for an hour or two for best results.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Use a measuring cup or ladle to spoon 1/4 c. of batter into the pan. Tilt the pan so that batter spreads out in a circle.
- Cook for 2 minutes, then flip the crepe.
- Cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes, then put on a plate.
- Add fruit to the crepe and roll up. Top with more fruit and drizzle with chocolate syrup.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Saturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 246mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 7g