Creamy chocolate pudding is the perfect treat for any occasion. This rich and creamy pudding is simple, easy, and delicious. Enjoy real chocolate flavor in this old-fashioned pudding made without cornstarch.
This is a nostalgic dessert for me because my mom always made it when I was a kid. When she wanted chocolatey dessert without the effort of baking a cake, this was her favorite!
This is a great dessert to make ahead of time and leave chilling in the fridge. Unlike most homemade chocolate pudding recipes, it doesn’t use cornstarch to thicken but instead uses a combination of flour and eggs.
The eggs make this a thick, creamy chocolate pudding that the whole family will enjoy.
Find more favorite dessert recipes! Check out my recipes for chocolate peanut butter balls, apple upside-down cake, and pumpkin dump cake!
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
Flour – Flour is used to thicken the pudding instead of cornstarch.
Sugar – I always use white sugar in this recipe.
Cocoa powder – This gives the pudding its chocolaty taste. Dutch-processed cocoa powder will give the dessert a richer flavor than regular cocoa powder.
Eggs – The eggs help thicken the pudding and make it creamy.
Milk – Use your milk of choice. Using whole milk will result in a more decadent, creamier pudding.
Butter – The butter combines with the flour to thicken the dessert.
Vanilla – This helps flavor the pudding and enhances this chocolaty dessert.
🥣How to Make Chocolate Pudding without Cornstarch
Combine the flour, sugar, and cocoa powder in a medium bowl. Then add the eggs and mix until everything is well combined.
Pour in the milk and whisk until the egg mixture is smooth.
Put the mixture in a saucepan on medium heat. Cook, whisking until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken.
Take the saucepan off the stove and stir in the butter and vanilla. Keep stirring until the butter completely melts.
Pour the pudding into individual dessert bowls or into one big bowl. Add a layer of plastic wrap right on top of the pudding if you don’t want a skin to form on top.
Refrigerate for 1-2 hours until the pudding has cooled and thickened.
This simple chocolate pudding makes an excellent simple dessert. It is creamy and chocolaty and doesn’t need any extras. But if you want to make it even better, any of these addons are delicious on a bowl of chocolate pudding:
- raspberries, strawberries, or other fresh fruit
- whipped cream
- chocolate chips or chocolate shavings
- chopped nuts
- mini marshmallows
📝Variations and Optional Additions
Here are some simple ways to change up the recipe:
- Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon for a Mexican chocolate pudding.
- Replace the vanilla extract with almond extract and garnish the dessert with almonds.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of instant espresso powder for a mocha flavor.
- Use dark chocolate cocoa powder for a dark chocolate pudding.
- Replace the vanilla extract with peppermint extract and sprinkle the pudding with crushed peppermints.
💭How to Store
Store homemade pudding in the refrigerator, tightly covered, for 2-3 days. Put a piece of plastic wrap on top of the pudding if you don’t want it to form a skin on top.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Chocolate Pudding Recipe Without Cornstarch
- 6 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add flour, sugar, and cocoa powder to a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.6 tablespoon all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 6 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Add eggs and mix until paste forms.2 eggs
- Mix in the milk until smooth.3 cups milk
- Add mixture to a saucepan over medium heat. Continue to whisk until the mixture starts to simmer and thicken.
- Remove from heat and add the butter and vanilla. Mix in until melted.2 tablespoon butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour the dessert into individual cups, mason jars, or one big bowl. Put a plastic wrap over the top to prevent skin from forming.
- Set in the fridge for 1-2 hours until the pudding has cooled and set.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.