This Pumpkin Bundt Cake is made from chocolate and pumpkin batter swirled together and topped off with chocolate glaze. This pumpkin chocolate cake is a perfect fall cake or Halloween treat.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pumpkin is the quintessential fall dessert! Almost everyone loves pumpkin and this time of year it seems like everyone is eating and drinking pumpkin flavors. While I enjoy pumpkin desserts I am not big on pumpkin all by itself. I have never made a plain pumpkin pie and I probably never will. I like my pumpkin desserts to include my favorite dessert flavor – which is chocolate of course!
Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
The combination of pumpkin and chocolate is amazing. Whether combined in this Chocolate Pumpkin Bundt Cake, baked into Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies or layered in a Chocolate Pumpkin Trifle the two flavors make a tasty and unique treat. This cake takes a little time to make, but it makes a fancy Halloween Bundt Cake and is worth the small bit of extra effort involved.
Making a Marbled Pumpkin Bundt Cake
What makes this cake a little complicated is that you need to make both a chocolate and a pumpkin batter and then swirl them together for a marble effect. To do this you first make a base batter, which includes all the cake making basics of butter, sugar and eggs. This base batter is then divided into two more or less equal parts. One half is turned into pumpkin spice flavored batter by adding pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg along with the flour. The other half is made into a chocolate cake batter by adding cocoa powder with the flour.
Then the two batters are layered alternately in the Bundt pan, adding about half of each batter at a time. Once you are finished the Bundt pan will hold four layers which will combine together to give the cake its swirled look. You can use a knife to mix the batter layers together a little bit or just let them mix a little bit as the pumpkin cake bakes.
Chocolate Glaze for Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
The glaze for this cake is just semi-sweet chocolate melted with butter and oil, drizzled on the cake and allowed to reharden. I think the cake tastes great without the glaze, but my kids always want extra chocolate on top! Without the glaze it is more like a pumpkin pound cake.
- 1 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 squares semi sweet chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a Bundt pan.
- First, make the Base batter. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each.
- Add in 2 t. of vanilla.
- Separate the base batter into two bowls, with about half the batter in each bowl.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into a small bowl and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture two one of the batter bowls, along with the pumpkin puree. Mix until just combined.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder in a small bowl and mix well.
- Add this flour mixture to the second batter bowl and stir until just combined.
Baking the Cake
- Pour half the Pumpkin batter in the Bundt pan. Top with half the Chocolate Batter. Repeat layers.
- Take a knife and swirl the batters to mix them if desired.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let it cool for 10 minutes, and then invert the pan.
- Once the cake cools completely top it with the chocolate glaze.
- Combine the chocolate squares and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds.
- Stir and continue to microwave for 10 seconds at a time until it is smooth and melted.
- Stir in the corn syrup and drizzle the glaze over the cake. The glaze will harden in a few hours.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 529Saturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 440mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 3gSugar: 36gProtein: 7g
Chocolate Pumpkin Bundt Cake Recipe Tips
- If you don’t have a Bundt pan you can bake the cake in two loaf pans.
- Don’t forget to pay attention when greasing the Bundt cake pan. Make sure you get all the little crevices, because Bundt cake can be difficult to get out of the pan without breaking if you aren’t careful.