Fall just seems to lend itself to soups and stews, and one of my favorite meats to use in stew is lamb. So when I was asked to create a lamb recipe by the American Lamb Board I made this rich and creamy lamb stew, inspired by Indian flavors.
One of my college roommates was of Indian heritage, and she taught me to how to use traditional Indian spices and ingredient to make tasty meals. This dish uses the spices ginger, cardamon and coriander to subtly flavor the meat and vegetables. In addition, braising meat and vegetables in yogurt is common in Indian cooking.
I chose to use a boneless leg of lamb for this dish, which I cut into cubes for the stew. Lamb lends itself well to global flavors, so it is a great meat to serve when you want to change things up and serve a meal with Latin, Middle Eastern, Asian or Mediterranean inspiration.
This stew is not quick to make because it needs a few hours of simmering to really bring out the flavors, but it doesn’t require much hands on time. So it is a good stew for a lazy Sunday when you can combine all the ingredients and then enjoy some family time while dinner cooks.
Creamy Lamb Stew
- 2 lbs boneless leg of lamb
- 2 Tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon ground cardamon
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lb. small red potatoes
- almonds and cilantro for garnish
- Cut the leg of lamb into cubes. Brown the cubes 1/2 at a time in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Remove the lamb from the pan and add set aside.
- Brown the onions in the oil.
- Return the lamb to the pot with the onions and add in the yogurt, coriander, ginger, cardamon, salt, pepper and milk and mix well.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook covered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cut the small red potatoes into cubes and add to the stew. Cover again and cook for 25 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with almonds and coriander, and serve with Basmati rice.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409Saturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 39g
What is your favorite way to serve lamb?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
6 thoughts on “Creamy Lamb Stew”
I’ve never made lamb before! I’m trying to think if I’ve even ever eaten it. This would make a great dinner for a chilly autumn evening though – I just may have to try it!
This looks SO YUM!
I just love lamb, and this stew looks really wonderful. I saw this over on the Wednesday Roundup and I would love to invite you to share this (and anything else you’d like!) over on the Pure Blog Love link party at my blog!
I like the sound of this lamb stew, and just happen to have lamb out for dinner so I am going to give your recipe a go. I found you on Keeping it Simple, thanks for sharing.
It is very cold here today and a perfect day to enjoy your Creamy Lamb Stew, it looks delicious. Hope you are staying warm and cozy on this cold day and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!