These easy crock pot chicken tacos take all the stress out of meal planning! Prep the dish in the morning, plug in the slow cooker, and you’ll have a warm and savory family-friendly meal ready to serve by dinner time.
In this recipe the chicken is slow cooked in a honey lime sauce which gives it an amazing depth of flavor. It is a total crowd-pleaser, perfect for weeknight dinner or game day parties. You can set up this tasty and quick taco meal any day of the week, not just “Taco Tuesday”!
🌮Taco Night Dinner
The juicy, set-it-and-forget-it chicken for tacos is an excellent base for various toppings—sauces, veggies, cheeses—you name it! This slow cooker dinner is truly one of the easiest meals to personalize.
Not only is the recipe incredibly flavorful and easy to prepare, but it is also budget-friendly. Did you find chicken breast on sale and aren’t sure what to do with it? This recipe is great to double. Then stash the extra chicken taco meat in your freezer.
Even your pickiest eater will love these slow-cooked crock pot chicken tacos! Keep reading to learn how to make Crock Pot chicken tacos, get serving ideas, and learn how to store this tasty meal.
Looking for more slow cooker recipes? Try Crock Pot Pork Chops, Crock Pot Turkey Breast or Ham and Potato Soup.
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts—You can also use tenderloins or boneless chicken thighs.
- Fajita Seasoning
- Lime Juice
- Honey—Adds a little bit of sweetness to balance the heat of the fajita seasoning.
- Chicken stock
- Minced garlic—Fresh or refrigerated.
🥣How to Make Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
- Prep – Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker.
- Make sauce – Stir together the fajita seasoning, lime juice, honey, chicken stock, garlic, and paprika. Pour the sauce over the chicken breasts.
- Slow cook – Put the lid on the slow cooker and simmer until the chicken cooks thoroughly.
- Shred – Remove the chicken, shred it with two forks, and return it to the crock pot.
- Serve – Serve the chicken on flour tortillas, top, and enjoy!
Wrap your slow cooker chicken taco meat in a soft flour or corn tortilla and add your favorite toppings. Here are some great fresh topping ideas:
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Pico De Gallo
- Guacamole or diced avocados
- Black beans
- Refried beans
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
Or skip the four tortillas and serve your taco filling in a lettuce wrap. This is a quick and easy alternative that can make your meal low-carb-friendly. And you don’t have to stop there; you can make a burrito bowl or serve the shredded chicken over rice, chips, or baked potatoes.
💭How to Store Crock Pot Chicken
You can store your cooled, leftover meat in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Simply reheat the shredded chicken in the microwave until warm all the way through.
You can also store the cooled chicken taco meat in a freezer-safe airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. When reheating your chicken from the freezer, allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight before microwaving the meat.
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
- It is best to use fresh chicken in this Crockpot chicken taco recipe. If you use frozen chicken breasts, thaw them in the refrigerator before adding them to your slow cooker.
- Use a crock pot liner to make cleanup quick and easy.
- To save time on shredding your chicken, place your chicken breasts in a large mixing bowl and use an electric hand mixer to break up the breasts. Keep the mixer at low speed, so the chicken doesn’t fly out of the mixing bowl.
- You can make fajita seasoning by combining cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- This recipe for seasoned shredded chicken is almost as tasty the next day as it is fresh. Use the leftovers to make a taco salad and add a handful of tortilla chips for a festive mid-day meal.
Does my chicken need to cool down before I shred it?
If you have time, let the chicken sit in the crock pot for about ten minutes before you shred it. This will help to keep the chicken juicy!
Should I flip my chicken halfway through the cooking process?
There is no need to flip your chicken when using the crock pot. Because the entire pot heats up, your chicken will be cooked evenly without flipping.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Crock Pot Chicken Tacos Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or boneless chicken thighs
- 1 1 ounce envelope fajita seasoning or taco seasoning mix
- ½ cup lime juice
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ chicken stock
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Add the chicken breasts to your slow cooker.2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- Mix the fajita seasoning, lime juice, honey, chicken stock, garlic, and paprika in a small bowl.1 1 ounce envelope fajita seasoning, ½ cup lime juice, ½ cup honey, ¼ chicken stock, 3 cloves garlic, ½ teaspoon paprika
- Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken, shred it, and return it to the juice in the slow cooker.
- Serve the shredded chicken on tortillas with your favorite taco toppings.
- If using frozen chicken, make sure to thaw it completely in the fridge before putting it in the slow cooker.
- Use a crock pot liner to make cleanup quick and easy.
- You can use an electric hand mixer to shred the chicken. Keep the mixer on low speed so the chicken doesn’t fly out of the mixing bowl.
- Make fajita seasoning by combining cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.