This Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole recipe is a tried and true classic everyone will enjoy! The marshmallows add gooey sweetness and the pecans provide a nice crunch.
This down-home dish is perfect for the whole family to enjoy as you gather around the holiday table. Sure, kids love it, but in my family, so do the adults! It is full of sweetness, melted marshmallows, and crunchy pecans for the ultimate indulgent side dish.
And when you make it in the crock pot, it is the ultimate in low-effort cooking! Just add the ingredients in the morning and walk away. Ten minutes before dinner is ready, mash the sweet potatoes, sprinkle a few more things on top, and you are done.
Trust me, even if you aren’t an experienced cook, you can make this recipe! I even included a shortcut using canned yams. So don’t use oven space on your Sweet Potato Casserole this year. Instead, make it in the slow cooker.
For exact amounts needed see the recipe card below
- fresh sweet potatoes or canned yams
- brown sugar
- pumpkin pie spice
- vanilla extract
- mini marshmallows
- whole pecans
🥣How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole in Crock Pot
- Spray the crockpot with nonstick cooking spray, or use a crock pot liner to simplify cleanup.
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into evenly sized pieces and put them in the slow cooker.
- Melt the butter. Then mix it with the brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Pour the sugar mixture over the top of the sweet potatoes. Mix well, then place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Cook the casserole on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Take the cover off and mash the mixture with a potato masher.
- Sprinkle the marshmallows on top. Replace the lid and cook for 5-10 minutes to melt the marshmallows.
- Sprinkle with pecans and serve right away.
This easy recipe makes the perfect side dish for your holiday dinner! Serve it for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, or whatever you celebrate. The sweetness and sticky marshmallows make this a favorite with everyone.
Crock Pot sweet potato casserole is ideal for serving alongside holiday favorites like roast turkey and beef tenderloin. Be sure to make green bean casserole, pineapple cheese casserole, mashed potatoes, and broccoli salad to go along with the meal!
💭How to Store and Reheat
This classic recipe will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 days. To reheat it, microwave individual portions. My kids always like to sprinkle a little extra brown sugar on top of the leftovers!
⭐Tips and Variations
Be sure to check out the step by step instructions
- Easy Cleanup – Use a crock pot liner to make cleanup fast and easy. This is especially good when making a big holiday dinner with many dishes!
- Creamier Sweet Potatoes – If you prefer a creamier texture, take the sweet potato mixture out of the slow cooker and use a stand mixer to mash it. Put it back in and complete the recipe.
- Crispy Topping – For browned marshmallows, put the slow cooker insert in a 375-degree F oven for 5 minutes after adding the marshmallows. But make sure the insert is oven safe first, and don’t do this if you use a crock pot liner!
- Make Ahead – Peel and cut the sweet potatoes the day before the holiday to save time. They will keep in the fridge for a day.
- Shortcut – Substitute 64 ounces of canned yams instead of fresh sweet potatoes. Make sure the yams don’t have added sugar.
- Variations – Skip the marshmallows for a slightly less sweet casserole version.
Did You Make This? Leave a Star Rating!
Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes or 64 ounces canned yams
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup pecans whole
- Spray the crock pot with cooking spray or use a slow cooker liner to make cleanup easier.
- Clean, peel, and cut the sweet potatoes and add them to the crockpot. Or drain the canned yams in a colander and add them to the crock pot.4 pounds sweet potatoes
- Melt the butter. Then mix it with the brown sugar, melted butter, spices, salt, and vanilla in a medium bowl.¾ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup unsalted butter, 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour the mixture into the crock pot and stir to combine. Then cover the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove the lid and mash sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle the marshmallows over the top of the casserole and replace the lid. Continue cooking for 5-10 minutes to melt marshmallows.1 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- Sprinkle with pecans and serve right away.1 cup pecans
- This recipe was made in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Dice the potatoes into evenly sized-cubes, so they cook at the same rate.
- Substitute 64 ounces of canned yams instead of fresh sweet potatoes. Make sure the yams don’t have added sugar.
- For a creamier texture, take the sweet potato mixture out of the slow cooker and use a stand mixer to mash it. Put it back in and complete the recipe.
- For browned marshmallows, put the slow cooker insert in a 375-degree F oven for 5 minutes after adding the marshmallows. Verify the insert is oven safe first, and don’t do this if you are using a crock pot liner!
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes the day before the holiday to save time. They will keep in the fridge for a day.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition facts are estimates.