This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MinuteRightNow #CollectiveBias
This quick and easy one dish taco rice skillet can be made with just 8 simple ingredients. Hearty beef, onion, poblano pepper and corn are combined with rice and topped with cheese. It is a delicious dinner your family will love and using Minute® Ready to Serve rice means you can have dinner on the table in about 20 minutes!
I enjoy making dinner for my family, but I need most of my dinner recipes to be quick and easy. My family’s life is busy, so I need low stress dinner ideas with a few ingredients and simple instructions. This taco rice skillet dinner is perfect for my family’s on-the-go busy lifestyle. It is delicious, cooks quickly and since it is all made in one skillet there aren’t many dishes to wash.
Click the image above to start shopping for your taco rice skillet!
Minute® Ready to Serve Rice
The secret ingredient that makes this meal so quick and easy is Minute® Ready to Serve rice. This rice is fully cooked and offers on-trend popular flavors that your family will love. The newest flavors to hit grocery stores include:
- Minute® Ready to Serve Garlic & Olive Oil Jasmine Rice
- Minute® Ready to Serve Cilantro & Lime Jasmine Rice
- Minute® Ready to Serve Southwest Pinto Beans with White Rice and Vegetables
The larger 7 oz. single rice cups are heated in the microwave for 90 seconds and you can eat it right out of the cup, so there is no clean up! It is very versatile, as is great for a lunch or a quick snack or as part of a quick family dinner. Minute® Ready to Serve rice is good to go anytime, anywhere.
Taco Rice Skillet Ingredients
This recipe has only eight simple ingredients – all of which you can find at Walmart. The Minute® Ready to Serve rice is in the aisle with all the rice and grain products. I decided to use the Minute® Ready to Serve Southwest Pinto Beans with White Rice and Vegetables for this dish.
This rice has added pinto beans and corn and goes perfectly with the taco theme of this recipe. But the Minute® Ready to Serve Cilantro & Lime with Jasmine Rice would have worked well in the recipe too. And, until 8/4/19, you can earn $.50 on Ibotta when you purchase one Minute® Ready to Serve product at Walmart, so pick some up today!
The other ingredients are basics including ground beef, taco seasoning, onion, poblano pepper, cheddar cheese and frozen corn. You can make some easy substitutions in the ingredients to customize the dish for your family. For example it would taste great with ground turkey instead of beef, or a red bell pepper instead of a poblano pepper. Use your imagination and make this easy meal a family favorite!
How to Make a Taco Rice Skillet
Browning the ground beef is the first step in the taco rice skillet recipe. I used 93% lean ground beef for my taco skillet. If you use ground beef with a higher fat percentage you will probably want to drain some of the fat off after the meat is browned. Because I used a lower fat beef I was able to skip that step.
Once the beef is browned I added the onion and poblano pepper along with the taco seasoning and cooked the mixture for another five minutes. This is the step where you can easily adjust the spiciness of the dish to suit your family’s preferences. If your family likes it hot pick a spicy taco seasoning or add in a jalapeno pepper!
After onion and poblano pepper were cooked I stirred in a diced tomato and a cup of frozen corn. The corn doesn’t need to be thawed first, since it will cook quickly in the dish.
While the corn and tomatoes simmer in the taco rice skillet I heated the Minute® Ready to Serve rice in the microwave. The rice comes in single serving containers and I used two containers in the recipe. I cooked each one separately in the microwave for 90 seconds, exactly as directed on the package. Then I added both servings to the skillet and stirred them in.
Finally I spread a layer of shredded cheddar cheese on top of the skillet. The cheese melted in a couple minutes, leaving the taco rice skillet covered with a nice layer of gooey melted cheese.
How to Serve the Taco Rice Skillet
You can serve the dish as is, right out of the skillet. Or you can add some tasty taco toppings to the skillet to make it even better. Here are some easy ideas for topping off the dish:
- Diced tomatoes
- Pickled jalapenos
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Green onions
Quick and Easy Dinner Ideas
Every meal doesn’t have to be a huge gourmet dinner that takes hours to cook! Treat yourself and your family to homemade good food fast by using shortcuts in the kitchen like using Minute® Ready to Serve Rice. You can spend less time cooking and more time making family memories.
- 2 cups Minute® Ready to Serve Southwest Pinto Beans with White Rice and Vegetables
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ onion
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 package taco seasoning (1 ounce)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tomato
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef and stir to break up. Cook, stirring, until no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- While the ground beef cooks dice the onion and poblano pepper. Add them to the ground beef along with the packet of taco seasoning once most of the pink is gone and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add the corn and tomato to the skillet and stir to mix well. Let the mixture continue to cook while you make the rice.
- Follow the package directions and heat the Minute® Ready to Serve Rice in the microwave for 90 seconds. Heat each cup of rice separately.
- Use a spoon to add the heated rice to the skillet and stir to mix it all together.
- Put the cheese on top of the skillet and cook for 2 minutes to let the cheese melts.
- Serve the taco rice skillet as is or add any taco toppings you like - sour cream, guacamole, pickled jalapenos, olives and tomatoes are all delicious.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 623Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 405mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 10gSugar: 5gProtein: 46g