This Easy Shrimp Pad Thai recipe is one of my family’s favorite dinners! It is quick to make, and can easily be made on a busy weeknight in less than 30 minutes so you can have dinner on the table quickly.
Pad Thai can seem like a complicated meal, but it is really not that difficult. The recipe is long, but almost all the work is just chopping up different vegetables. The key to making this Shrimp Pad Thai is to take the time to chop everything up and get all the ingredients ready to go because it cooks quickly. I like to put all the ingredients in bowls next to the stove, and then just dump them into the pan one at a time.
It takes about 15 minutes to prep all the ingredients, and then only 10 minutes to make the meal. It is quicker than getting take-out and tastier too. My kids have all made this – it is easy enough for a teen to make.
One of the things I like to do to make the preparation quick is to use pre-shredded broccoli slaw or coleslaw. Then I don’t have to get out the food processor for shredding vegetables. The shredded broccoli from the slaw is so thin it cooks quickly and is kind of hidden by the noodles. This is one of the few recipes my kids will eat broccoli in!
The meal is also versatile. I call for rice noodles in the recipe, but I have made it with spaghetti before too, and switched out the shrimp for chicken.
- 1 onion
- 4 scallions
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cup Broccoli slaw
- 2 eggs
- 6 oz frozen shrimp
- 2 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 8 oz rice noodles
- 6 Tablespoon fish Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 2 Tablespoon cilantro leaves for garnish
- Put a skillet or wok on the pan on the stove over low heat while preparing all the ingredients. Also put a pan of water on the stove on high to boil for cooking the rice noodles.
- Prepare all the vegetables and put them in individual bowls - chop the onion, chop the scallions, mince the garlic, and measure out the broccoli slaw. Having everything ready to go is essential because the meal cooks quickly.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and lightly beat with a fork.
- Mix the Fish sauce, sugar and red pepper flakes together in measuring cup.
- Slice the lime and chop the peanuts.
- Once all the ingredients are prepared and the water is boiling add the rice noodles to the boiling water.
- Increase the heat on the frying pan or wok and add 1 T. of olive oil.
- Fry the onion in the hot oil for 1 minute.
- Add the shrimp and fry until it starts to turn pink.
- Add the scallions, garlic and broccoli slaw and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Pour the eggs into the pan and scramble them into the vegetables until they are cooked.
- Take the pan off the stove and pour all the ingredients out into a bowl.
- Drain the rice noodles which should be cooked by now.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the frying pan and pour the fish sauce mixture over the noodles in the pan. Stir fry the noodles with the sauce for 2 minutes.
- Return the shrimp and vegetable mixture to the frying pan, add the lime juice and mix with the noodles.
- Serve immediately, garnished with the lime, peanuts and cilantro.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 910 Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 378mg Sodium: 5227mg Carbohydrates: 124g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 11g Protein: 39g