This is a pretty complicated recipe, that calls for doing lots of preparation, including roasting chilies and tomatillos. The result it worth it though, and I love the combination of flavors. Also all the preparation is at the beginning, and then you just leave it in the crockpot. This works for me, since I do have time to prepare meals, just not necessarily at dinner time. I also really like a chili made with hominy instead of beans, since it gives it a much different taste. I used Anaheim chilies, which aren’t very hot, so if you want to make it spicier you could use a spicier chili. I think this would also work very well as a vegetarian chili, if you just left out the chicken and used vegetable broth.
Green Chicken Chili Slow Cooker Recipe
- 2 Anaheim chilies
- 1 pound tomatillos
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander, cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 Tablespoon flour
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can hominy, drained
- Halve and seed chilies. Place on a baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes. Then place them in a paper bag and seal it.
- Peel the tomatillos. Put them on the baking sheet and broil for about 15 minutes, turning once.
- While the tomatillos are cooking heat the oil in a frying pan. Add onion, carrots, celery and bell pepper and saute for 2 minutes. Add flour and stir it for 2 more minutes. Add garlic and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Take the chilies out of the bag and peel them. Combine them with the tomatillos, cilantro, cumin and 1 c. of chicken broth in a blender and blend.
- Mix together the blended tomatillo mixture, sauted vegetables and all the remaining ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 4 or 5 hours.
- Serve with sour cream and cilantro.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 1152mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 16g
2 thoughts on “Green Chicken Chili Slow Cooker Recipe”
I live in Tucson, AZ, so this is a wonderfully possible recipe. I too have time and love using my crock pot. How many ounces do you use for the hominy? I love when the HUGE cans go on sale for $1.99…But I’m wondering if you use closer to a ‘regular’ size so that the hominy isn’t all that we’re eating?
Your blog website provided us with useful information to execute with. Each & every recommendation of your website is awesome. Thanks a lot =”https://www.theusasuits.com/”>for talking about it. <a href-TheUSASuits