These Green Donuts make delicious St. Patrick’s Day Desserts.
This post contains affiliate links.
One of my favorite things about St. Patrick’s Day is all the green food, like these Green Donuts!
Red Velvet is a popular flavor for Valentine’s Day, and this is basically the same only with green food coloring instead of red. They are chocolate inside, but the green color makes them more seasonal.
Tools for Making Green Donuts
I made my donuts in a Donut Maker, which, which makes five little donuts at a time. But you could also use a donut pan and bake them in the oven if you don’t want to store a whole new appliance. I got the Donut Maker on sale, and it is pretty cute, and makes the donuts in just a few minutes.
I used a pastry bag to pipe the donut batter into the pan which made the entire process quick and easy.
The donuts came out with just a hint of green color on the outside. To top the Green Donuts off I made a traditional cream cheese frosting, dipped the donuts in, and sprinkled them with green sugar. I used big Green Sugar Gems, which are like rock candy and quite different from basic green sprinkles. It made the donuts look festive, and perfectly green for St. Patrick’s Day.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 3 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- green food coloring
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tablespoon butter, soften
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoon milk
- Green sugar to decorate
- Preheat Mini Donut Maker or preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease the donut maker or donut pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the buttermilk and vinegar to the batter, and then add the flour mixture and combine on low speed.
- Add some green food coloring and mix well.
- Put the batter into an icing piping bag and fill the donut maker or pan.
- Bake 7 minutes in Donut Maker or 15 in the oven.
- Cool completely on wire racks before frosting. Get the cream cheese and butter for the frosting out of the refrigerator to soften while the donuts cool.
- To make the frosting mix the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Mix in the powdered sugar and thin with milk.
- Dip the donuts in the frosting and then sprinkle with the green sugar.
Nutrition Facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Saturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 215mgCarbohydrates: 30gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g
The donuts were delicious, and make a nice change from cupcakes! What is your favorite green food for St. Patrick’s Day?
More St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- Instant Pot Lamb Stew
- Guinness Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Guinness Bread
- Chocolate Covered St. Patrick’s Day Pretzels
- Guinness Brownies with Chocolate Ganache