This is a quick and easy side dish, combining asparagus with goat cheese for a perfect spring vegetable. I was planning to roast the asparagus, but then the hinges broke on my oven door, so I can’t cook anything in the oven right now! I decided to grill them instead, which is something I have never tried before, and it worked pretty well. I threaded the asparagus on bamboo skewers, so they wouldn’t slip down through the grates of the grill. You could just lay them crosswise on the grill, but my asparagus was a fairly skinny, so I figured a skewer would be easier.
The heat from the asparagus melts the goat cheese and make a nice creamy sauce to coat the asparagus.
- 2 lb asparagus
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1 lemon
- 2 oz creamy goat cheese
- bamboo skewers, optional
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for half an hour if you are using them. Pre-heat the grill so it is nice and hot.
- Cut off the woody end of the asparagus. Brush it with olive oil and sprinkle it with salt.
- Grill over high to medium high heat, turning once or twice.
- Meanwhile, zest and just the lemon and mix the juice and zest with goat cheese.
- When the asparagus is done mix it into the cheese mixture and serve.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 152Saturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 57mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 7g