This hearty stew combines Guinness with lamb for a rich and tasty Irish Stew.
I usually see recipes for Guinness Stew with beef, but Guinness Lamb Stew is more traditionally Irish and it tastes great too. Â The stew is better with a long slow simmering, so I like to add the potatoes and carrots for only the last 45 minutes, so they don’t get over cooked.
The stew makes a great dinner for St. Patrick’s Day, and it goes perfectly with the Guinness Bread recipe I posted last week.
Guinness Lamb Stew
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 3 hours
Total Time 3 hours 5 minutes
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless leg of lamb, cubed
- 2 Tablespoon flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 cups Guinness Stout
- 1 1/1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- parsley to garnish
- Heat oil in sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add lamb and cook until brown on all sides.
- Sprinkle lamb with flour and mix well.
- Add onion, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Guinness, tomato paste, beef broth, bay leaf and Dijon mustard and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in the potato and carrot, cover and cook for 45 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 825mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 26g
8 thoughts on “Guinness Lamb Stew”
That looks really tasty. A stew like this is perfect for the cold weather we’ve been having in my area lately.
I cook (bake mostly) with Guinness a lot but I’ve never tried a stew. This time of year is perfect for some home cooked, hearty, stew and yours looks so colorful and delicious!
We haven’t had lamb stew in quite a while. I bet this one tastes phenomenal.
My husband John is in love with Guinness recipes!! This sounds great, I havve not made a stew for him yet with Guinness yet.
I’ve never had lamb stew but it looks really delicious!
This looks amazing- I love lamb and people don’t utilize it enough for stews, which makes me sad. Thanks for sharing!
I stopped by from Showcase Your Talent Thursdays!
Your Guinness Lam Stew look fabulous! Happy St. Patrickâ€™s Day and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!