These truffles are extremely easy to make, but they taste great and look good. I made these last week to take to a meeting, but I had to change my plans and make a quick overnight trip to my Mom’s house, so I missed the meeting. By the time I got home on Saturday my family had finished off the truffles for me! But I guess that is ok, since I am trying to avoid sweets.
Dyeing shredded coconut is not hard, and it is a great way to make a dessert look more complicated than it really is. Here is how it is done.
- Put 1/2 a cup of water in a bowl, and use food coloring into it to achieve your desired color.
- Stir in 1 cup of coconut and mix until the water is absorbed and coconut is colored.
- Spread the coconut out on a tray to dry. You can at room temperature for about 24 hours, or about 2 hours in an oven with low heat, about 175 degrees.
- 8 oz block cream cheese
- 4 squares of semisweet chocolate
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, preferably a fun color
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave, being careful not to burn it.
- Whip the cream cheese in the mixer, and gradually add the powdered sugar.
- Stir in the chocolate and mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate the batter for an hour or two.
- Scoop the batter into small balls and roll in the coconut. Keep refrigerated until time to serve.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202 Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 136mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 24g Protein: 4g