These Ham & Cheese Muffins are a delicious and hearty breakfast muffin combining ham and cheese with Dijon mustard for extra flavor and taste.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a perfect way to use up some leftover Easter ham. If you are looking for something different these Ham and Cheese Muffins make a nice change from ham casseroles!
Ham and cheese is a classic sandwich, so it only makes sense that they would go well together in a muffin. And just like on a sandwich mustard brings out the flavors and makes it even better. I used Whole Grain Dijon Mustard, mainly because that is what I had in the refrigerator. But it really improved the looks of the muffins as you can see the flecks of mustard seed through out the muffins. I am sure they would taste just as good with regular Dijon Mustard, but they wouldn’t look as pretty!
While these were cooking they smelled noticeably of mustard, so much so that I was worried I had added too much. But once baked the mustard flavor is subtle, and I think 3 Tablespoons is the perfect amount.
Ham and cheese with mustard is one of the most iconic and popular sandwiches around, and these Ham & Cheese Muffins are a fun way to recreate the taste.
Ham and Cheese Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease muffins pans
- Mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, mustard, baking powder, salt and baking soda and stir to combine.
- Mix together the eggs, buttermilk, oil and Dijon Mustard and stir to combine.
- Add the ham and cheese to the dry ingredients and mix. Then make a well in the center and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Fill muffin cup about 2/3 full, and bake 20-25 minutes until brown.
- I used cheddar cheese, but Swiss cheese would also taste great, and be more traditional.
- You can increase the cheese in the recipe for even more cheesy goodness. You should be able to add up to 2 cups without affecting the recipe texture.
- They muffins are perfect for packing in a school lunch.