Keeping your dogs happy and healthy is important!Â Our two dogs are an important part of our family, and we do our best to make sure they eat right and stay healthy.Â But it can be a challenge, because like most dogs they don’t know what they should and shouldn’t eat.
Our older dog Dodger is a scavenger.Â He has never found food the doesn’t like, and that can get him in trouble.Â As you can see he is also fairly large, so he when he tries he can easily get into things he shouldn’t!Â A few years ago he got in the pantry and ate half a box of Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies.Â Since chocolate is bad for dogs were were concerned, but a phone call to our vet told us that because of his size he would probably be ok, and we just had to watch him closely for a few days.
An incident with a can of raisins didn’t turn out so well though.Â Raisins are highly toxic to dogs, and can cause kidney failure.Â One day my son got a brand new large can of raisins out, ate a few, and forgot to put it away.Â Dodger ate the entire can, which was about 12 oz of raisins.Â When we realized what had happened we had to induce vomiting, rush him to the vet, and keep him on IV fluids for a few days. That was a fairly traumatic (and expensive) experience for everyone, and we learned to be much more careful!
But accidents do happen, and if your dog has symptoms of an upset stomach like diarrhea or bad flatulence it is important to take him to your vet so they can investigate the GI issue and make sure your pet is healthy.Â If your dog is anything like mine he could easily get into something dangerous without your realizing it!
Here are five foods that you should make sure you dog doesn’t eat:
- avocados and avocado pits
- macadamia nuts
- raisins and grapes
- xylitol – the sweetener in sugarless gum
- chocolate – especially dark chocolate
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.