I love pretzels, and they make a great healthy snack. Unlike potato or tortilla chips they aren’t fried, so they don’t have nearly as much fat as other snacks. They are perfect for grabbing when you need a quick on the go snack, or are fun for a party, like an upcoming Super Bowl gathering. I also like that fact there are so many flavors of pretzels, so you can add variety to your snacking by choosing different flavors and shapes.
There are lots of ways you can use pretzels in cooking too. One of my favorite ways is to use it as a coating for fish or chicken. It is a nice change from using bread crumbs, and and makes the dish crunchy and a little salty. Here is a super easy recipe for Pretzel Chicken Fingers with Mustard Sauce, which originally came from Food & Wine magazine. I like this recipe because pretzels and mustard always seem to go well with each other. If you use chicken tenderloins then you have some crunchy finger food for snacking.
Ingredients for the Chicken:
- 1/2 lb crushed hard pretzels
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins
Ingredients for the Sauce:
- 1/2 c. whole grain mustard
- 2 T Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 c. water
- 3 T. red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Crush the pretzels.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together in the food processor.
- Save half the mustard sauce to serve as a condiment. Dip the tenderloins in the remaining mustard sauce, then roll in the pretzel crumbs.
- Put the tenderloins on a rack on a cooking tray, and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Serve with the extra sauce.
Healthy snacking is important, because it doesn’t do much good to serve healthy nutritious meals and then offer up cookies as snacks. Here are some more healthy snacking tips:
- Include lots of fruit in your snacks. Something small such as a tangerine makes an excellent quick and easy snack.
- When you are serving something pretzels with dip include vegetables to go with the dip also.
- When you are picking less healthy selections, for example potato chips, go for the baked varieties.
- Air popped popcorn is a great filling snack. It has lots of fiber and whole grains, and if you stay away from buttery toppings you can eat a lot.
What are some of your healthy snacking ideas?
Disclosure: I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Snyderâ€™s of Hanover blogging program, for 6,000 My SocialMoms Rewards Points. For more information on how you can participate, click here.