I love to make Christmas cookies and I always want to try new and different varieties, like these Holiday Peppermint Cookies.
One of the things I love about this recipe is how easy it is to make. There are no unusual ingredients to buy or complicated directions to follow. The cookies are made by stirring in broken up peppermints or candy canes into the batter, for a festive and minty flavor.
These are a fun recipe for kids to make because they get to roll the dough into balls, and it is a nice stiff dough so it will not be too messy. After the little balls of peppermint candy are baked they are topped off with a simple powdered sugar icing and sprinkled with more crushed peppermints.
I noticed that the grocery store now sells bags of crushed peppermint candy, but my kids always find it fun to get out a hammer or rolling pin and crush their own!
Cookies Make the Perfect Gift
I love to share homemade cookies with my friends and family! Food is a great way to bring people together during the holiday season, either in person or from a distance.
Why not bake some cookies this year and put together a cookie gift box for your friends? Here are some cookie recipe ideas for gift giving!
Holiday Peppermint Cookies
Easy to make peppermint cookies - perfect for a holiday cookie exchange.
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermints
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 5 teaspoon water
- 2 Tablespoon peppermints, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cream the butter and sugar with a mixer until smooth.
- Add the egg and mix completely.
- Mix in the flour and salt until they are just combined. Don't over mix.
- Gently stir in the 1/2 c. of crushed peppermints.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until they are firm.
- Once the cookies are cooled completely mix the powdered sugar and water together until smooth.
- Drizzle over the top of each cookie and sprinkle with more peppermints.
Nutrition facts are estimates.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Saturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 65mgCarbohydrates: 17gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g
What holiday sweets are you making this year?
1 thought on “Holiday Peppermint Cookies”
such pretty cookies